Sports Summaries Feb. 8-15

The latest details on sporting events on campus

PennWest+California

PennWest California

PennWest California

Emily Wilson, Staff Writer

Men’s Basketball

The Vulcan’s men’s basketball team won their game against Gannon on Wednesday, Feb. 8 with a score of 78-54. 

Cam Polak (Sophomore) scored a game-high of 22 points during the game.

Keith Palek lll (Sophomore) scored 12 points with seven rebounds, two steals, and three assists.

Kadyn Hannah (Sophomore) scored 11 points during the game.

Donald Whitehead, Jr. (Freshman) had a total of 10 points while Jermaine Hall, Jr. (junior) and KJ McClurg (Freshman) scored nine points each. 

The men’s basketball team won their game on Saturday evening against Mercyhurst with a score of 76-71. 

Keith Palek lll (Sophomore) had a total of 19 points during the game. Palek also achieved six rebounds and three assists. 

KJ McClurg (Freshman) scored 18 points and seven rebounds, Donald Whitehead, Jr. (Freshman) had 17 points, and Jermaine Hall, Jr. ended the game with 14 points, two assists, one steal, and four rebounds. 

Women’s Basketball

The women’s basketball team lost their game against Gannon on Wednesday, Feb. 8 with a final score of 76-65.

Rajah Fink (Senior) scored a total of 18 points during the game. Fink leads this season’s PSAC with an average of 10.3 rebounds per game. 

Ciaira Loyd had a total of 16 points, Halle Herrington (Junior) had 11 points, Allycia Harris led the team during the game with a total of 10 rebounds, two blocks, two steals, and nine additional points that she scored.

The women’s basketball team lost their game against Mercyhurst on Sat. evening with a score of 57-46. 

Allycia Harris (Sophomore) had a total of 17 points and 14 rebounds, Rajah Fink (Senior) scored eight points and 15 rebounds, Ciaira Loyd scored 10 points, and Jordan Smith (Junior) had a total of seven rebounds. 

Women’s Track

The women’s track team won three of their events over the weekend at the D-ll Pre-Nationals Invitational. 

The team also achieved seven league-qualifying standards at the invitational. 

Divonne Franklin (Senior) won the finals of the 60-meter dash, placed second in the preliminaries, and won the 200-meter dash. 

Beyoncé Kelly (Senior) won the high jump during the invitational, making this her third victory in the high jump for the season.  

Tatum Hoffman (Sophomore) achieved the PSAC standard in the high jump event. 

Kaileee Bunyard (Senior) reached the league standard in the 60-meter hurdles, Lyana Campbell (Sophomore) set the best time for the season in the 400-meter run, while also setting a personal record of one minute. 

Taylor Timmons (Sophomore) set a season-best time in the 400-meter dash, and Sydney Urbine (Senior) finished with a season-best time in the 800-meter run. 

Men’s Track

A decade-old school record was broken over the weekend by Daniel Munro (Freshman) in the heptathlon at the Dll Pre-National Invitational on Feb. 11. 

Munro took third place in the heptathlon, first place in the pole vault, and third in the 1,000-meter run.

Noah Bernarding (Junior) made fifth place in the 800-meter run.

Jonathan Thrush (Freshman) came in third place in the 5,000-meter run.

Ian Zimmerman (Sophomore) got sixth place in the 5,000-meter run. 

Women’s track

Divonne Franklin (Senior) was named the PSAC Track Athlete of the week on Monday, Feb. 13 at the D-ll Pre-Nationals Invitational, for the fifth time this season. 

Franklin made first place in the 60-meter dash and the 200-meter dash. 

Franklin was also voted the PSAC 2022 Track Athlete of the year.