NFL? CFL? James Harris attends NFL Regional Combine

Rachael Kriger, Cal Times Sports Editor

James Harris wants to play professional football after college. The dream isn’t far away either for the California University of Pennsylvania quarterback. Harris, who finished his senior season last semester, is working hard to make his NFL dream come true.
However, it’s not just an NFL dream. Harris isn’t against going to Canada to play in the Canadian professional league, the CFL. Harris says that it is absolutely an option. However, Harris was more excited and vibrant when talking about the NFL.
Harris was invited to attend the NFL Regional Combine in Baltimore, Maryland. Basically a smaller version of the annual NFL Combine in Indianapolis, Harris wasn’t the only Cal U Vulcan to attend. Also attending the combine in Baltimore was offensive lineman Jeremy Seaman.
Harris, who was one of seven quarterbacks in Baltimore, said the entire program was very well, and professional, run. “We got there and they kind of put us on the spot, us quarterbacks,” said Harris. We basically walked in and then they pulled us aside, gave us all our stuff to wear, and said “warm up real quick, we’re going to get you guys on camera.’”
“We did a couple three-step drops and throws to each side of the field to get us on video,” Harris continued. “Then we got into the testing. We did the 40-yard dash, broad jump, shuttle, and vertical jump. Then after that, we got together with the receivers and the tight ends and we ran all the same drills that they run in the national combine in Indianapolis.”
Harris commented that everything about the Regional Combine was very structured. “For instance, there were cones set up for the routes, so I knew where they were going to be,” he said. “Normally throwing to a receiver for the first time is rough, but it was set up well for us to have success, even though we don’t really know each other. It was cool to throw to a bunch of different guys that go to different school that I’ve never played with.”
Harris said that he knew a couple players from the PSAC, but basically it was everyone that was from around the area that could attend. Harris said he even saw his old friend, Harvard quarterback Scott Hosch. “I actually trained with him in Atlanta,” he said. “I didn’t expect to see him there.”
Also helping Harris get more attention was when he played in the Senior Bowl and in the College Gridiron Showcase. “It was different than this because you actually had to play an actual game with these guys [from other schools],” he said. “It was a good experience though. I played in front of a lot of scouts, NFL and CFL. As for the College Gridiron Showcase, every team, all 32 NFL teams, were there, so that was good for exposure especially since I’m a Division II player.”
CFL might just be where Harris ends up. Right now, Harris said he and his agent are talking to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. “I’m talking to Winnipeg right now and the talks are going well,” he said. “They seem very interested. They’ve seen me play a couple of times now between the College Gridiron Showcase and the National Bowl.”
Harris is also getting himself out there by participating in Pro Days. He participated in Duquesne University’s Pro Day back on March 17 and will participate in Cal U’s Pro Day on April 4.