Cal U Welcomes Free Daps

Olivia Wilson, Staff Writer

As a part of Welcome Weekend, Free Daps came to Cal U’s campus on August 24th for a free show hosted by our Student Activities Board. Free Daps is a group of freestyle rappers and improvisors who are known for performing at Disney World and Universal Studios. The group which consisted of Heath, Jonathan, and Francisco, like to incorporate hip-hop to create their own improv set. They also love to include their audience and tailor each show to their specific crowd.

The crowd favorite was when they asked every audience member to pull something out of their bag or pockets, and they went around and created a rap song about the random objects. Later in the show, they pulled an audience member, Jen Talley, onto the stage. The guys asked her a handful of questions about her life including what her major is, what clubs she is involved with on campus, along with random facts like what her high school mascot was. From there, they created a song about her right on the spot which the crowd also seemed to enjoy.

Since the event was Friday during Welcome Weekend the event had a great turnout of new students. SAB saw this event as a great opportunity to introduce their club to the incoming class. The Student Activities Board’s President, Jessica Crosson, said that “Free Daps was great to have for Welcome Weekend! They were very upbeat and involved the audience in the vast majority of their show. Some students even told us that they recognized them from performing at Disney World or Universal Studies which was great to hear as well. I’m hoping this successful event will help increase attendance at our other events and encourage students to get involved with our organization.”

SAB was happy with the outcome and hopes to have the same turnout at their future shows. To find out what else the Student Activities Board is planning this semester, you can find their calendar on their OrgSync page or follow them on social media.

Student Activities Board social media:

Instagram – @sab_calu

Twitter – @caluactivities

Facebook – Cal U Student Activities