Get the Cal Times delivered to your Inbox!

Making Your Voice Heard: The Power of the Youth Vote

The Impact of Student Civic Engagement Can Shape the Future of Our Nation
Jessica Wheeler
I Voted Sticker

College students represent our future leaders and play a crucial role in the shaping of our nation. Students can ensure representation of their interests in decision-making processes by actively participating in the electoral process. College students can support candidates who share their values and priorities and who are committed to addressing society’s challenges by voting in local, state, and federal elections.

Laura Tuennerman is a professor of history at PennWest California and the campus director of the American Democracy Project. ADP is a multicampus initiative focusing on the role higher education plays in preparing informed, engaged citizens.

“There is no question that actions taken today – not only voting, but protesting, petitioning, or volunteering – shape tomorrow,”  Tuennerman said. “When you vote, you are not just picking a particular politician, but you are also shaping the federal and state Supreme Court of the future.”

Tuennerman stresses the value of making a habit of voting, as studies show that once people start voting, they keep voting.  Primary elections are a great way to start developing the habit.

“A primary election is sometimes less scary than a bigger [general] election with more people and issues on the ballot,” Tuennerman explains. “Primaries also are not just about presidents; they are also about candidates at other levels.  There are races that can and will be impacted by primary voters – even if the presidential candidates seem to have things wrapped up.”

As a significant voting bloc, college students can sway election results and influence political movements. College students can signal their collective support for candidates and policies that align with their beliefs and aspirations by voting in large numbers. Students can contribute to a more inclusive and representative democracy by shaping the political landscape.

PennWest University students should register to vote before the deadline on Monday, Apr. 8 2024. Voting in the primary gives students a role in deciding which candidates will appear on the November general election ballot. Participating in the primary election allows students to make their voices heard and participate in the democratic process.

To learn more about the candidates that will appear on your ballot, visit https://www.vote411.org/ and for step-by-step instructions on how to register and where to vote, visit https://www.pennwest.edu/lp/vote.