Get the Cal Times delivered to your Inbox!

Homecoming Hockey Recap

The California Vulcan’s Hockey Club took on the RMU Colonials
Vulcans+Hockey+Club+
David Hague
Vulcans Hockey Club

With an extremely large crowd inside the newly renamed CFS Bank Event Center (formally known as The Rostraver Ice Gardens), Vulcan Nation showed up, as California would play host to the Robert Morris Colonials. The Vulcans came into the contest with at 2-0 record to RMU’s 4-1. California had a tribute to James DeAngelo prior to the game and a ceremonial puck drop with James’s sister Abigail and Pittsburgh Penguins Broadcaster Phil Bourque. After a back-and-forth affair, the first goal went to RMU and they took a 1st period lead. Late in the first, California would start to get some momentum, as they turned the RMU end into a shooting gallery and brought the physicality. The 2nd was similar to the 1st but this time the Vulcans would tie it up at 1, all with 17 seconds left in the period. In the 3rd, RMU would take a 2-1 lead just 25 seconds into the final frame. But the Vulcans would answer back with 11:32 left in regulation.

PennWest California Vulcans Hockey Club (David Hague)

With multiple scoring chances and power play opportunities, California peppered goaltender Brosavic but could not get the puck passed him. With less than 1:30 left in regulation, the Colonials would take a 3-2 lead. Cal looked to regroup and battle back, pulling the goalie for the extra attacker. They had their chances, but Brosavic stood tall in the RMU Net. With a bad bounce, the puck squeaked out to center ice and RMU picked up the loose biscuit. RMU scored on the empty net and put the game on ice 4-2. That would be the final score of 4-2. California will travel to Michigan for a road trip game over the weekend. RMU will head back to Moon Twp to start their home stand.