Natali Student Center Rededication

University trustees, administrators praise contractors, students for finished building

An+official+balloon+drop+at+the+end+of+the+Natali+Student+Center%E2%80%99s+rededication+ceremony+on+Wednesday+highlighted+the+completion+of+the+facility%E2%80%99s+major+two-year+renovation+project.+The+rededication+was+held+in+the+dramatic+new+Heritage+Lounge%2C+the+rotunda+that+now+is+a+signature+feature+of+the+building.+

An official balloon drop at the end of the Natali Student Center’s rededication ceremony on Wednesday highlighted the completion of the facility’s major two-year renovation project. The rededication was held in the dramatic new Heritage Lounge, the rotunda that now is a signature feature of the building.

Interim University President Geraldine Jones, Vice President of Student Affairs Nancy Pinardi,  Associate Vice President of Student Affairs Larry Sebek, Acting Provost Bruce Barnhart, Vice President of Administration and Finance Robert Thorn and Student Government President Brendan Garay praised the role students, staff and contractors played in the construction of the Natali Student Center during the building’s rededication held on Sept. 16 in Heritage Lounge.

The rededication ceremony afforded the university an opportunity to allow members of the campus community who were unfamiliar with the changes made to the building to see firsthand what is being billed as “a source of pride and accomplishment” for the university. According to Larry Maggi,  chairman, Cal U Council of Trustees, the end result of the two-year renovation process to the Natali Student Center is a more complete, competitive Cal U.

“We hope that when students are making a choice [concerning where to attend college] the student center shows Cal U is a university working to move forward,” Maggi said. “This building is essential to the continued success of Cal U.”

Mr. Brendan Garay, president, California University Student Government
Mr. Brendan Garay, President,
California University Student Government Photos by Aaron Zimmerman

Other speakers on hand were Greg Smih of WTW architects and Student Government President Brendan Garay.

The Student Center, constructed in 1972 and named the California Memorial Union, had last been expanded in 1992, when it was renamed the Natali Student Center in honor of former University President Elmo Natali.