‘Excited’ for an incredible game: Cal U alumnus part of media team working Super Bowl LV

Jake Horan

Danny Beeck ’19, a video producer for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, at Lambeau Field in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Beeck is scheduled to work at the Super Bowl in Tampa, Florida on Sunday, Feb. 7, 2021

Tom Caton, Editor in Chief

Growing up as a child, Danny Beeck would always find himself watching the television broadcast of the Super Bowl every year on Super Bowl Sunday, no matter which teams were playing in it. However, this year is a little different for him. Instead of watching the game on television, Beeck will be working at Super Bowl LV (55) in a matchup between the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday, Feb. 7.

Beeck talked about his journey to the Super Bowl during a recent interview with Gary Smith, director of operations for CUTV, California University Television.

“It’s a surreal feeling to be working a Super Bowl in my second season with an NFL team,” said Beeck. “It’s rewarding and exciting to see all our of our work throughout the season with more eyes on it than ever.”

Beeck, a 2019 graduate from Cal U, is a video producer for the Buccaneers and he is responsible for some of the content posted on the team’s social media platforms, their websites, and their YouTube page. Beeck says he works with a team of five other members who attend every football game and record content that will be edited later. The team also records, what they refer to as features, with fellow team members as well.

This upcoming Sunday, Beeck said he will be up close and personal on the sidelines of the field during the big game. In the interview, Smith said he would be monitoring the sidelines closely, hoping to notice Beeck on camera at some point throughout the game.

Due to the ongoing covid-19 pandemic, many restrictions were placed on sports venues. With help from his fellow co-workers, Beeck says he keeps Buccaneers fans engaged virtually through the numerous videos featured online.

“It drew more eyes to our online platforms,” said Beeck. “It puts more emphasis on trying to create compelling content because a fan likes to see their favorite team in the rawest form.”

Beeck says that his team tries to keep fans engaged with content from both on the field and off the field. He is happy to say that all this hard work of creating videos has paid off, especially for the fans. All the videos ever made have made fans even more excited, despite the fact of not attending a Buccaneers game in person.

“The success that we’re achieving on the field is equal to that success we’re achieving for the fans as well,” said Beeck.

On Jan. 24, Beeck got to travel to the iconic Lambeau Field in Green Bay, Wis. to witness the NFC Championship Game between the Buccaneers and the Green Bay Packers. At the end of the game, the Buccaneers won 31-26, thus claiming the title of NFC Champions and earning their ticket to Super Bowl LV (55).

“This was the first time I ever got to travel with the team for an away game this whole season, because of covid,” said Beeck. “I got goose bumps walking up to the stadium”

The Super Bowl is set to take place on Feb. 7 in Tampa at the Raymond James Stadium, home of the Buccaneers. For the first time ever in Super Bowl history, a team will be playing the Super Bowl at their own home stadium, which many people who work for the team and fans find incredible.

In this year’s Super Bowl, the Buccaneers and the Chiefs face off to see who can win and claim victory of the Vince Lombardi trophy. The Chiefs played in Super Bowl LIV (54) last year against the San Francisco 49ers and proclaimed victorious in the end.

Beeck attended last year’s Super Bowl with his girlfriend, Reilly McGlumphy, and other family members and friends. He does plan on rooting for the Buccaneers, obviously, and hopes they will pull off a win. If the Buccaneers win, it will be their second Super Bowl win in history.

It has been 18 years since the Buccaneers had last won the Super Bowl title. The last Super Bowl the Buccaneers appeared in was Super Bowl XXXVII (37) in 2003, when they won against the Oakland Raiders.

To other Cal U students who are interested in the field of work that Beeck is currently working in, the advice he wants to give is “to always be ready.”

“Preparation prevents poor performance,” said Beeck. “If you practice good work ethic when nobody is watching, you’ll perform like you’ve been there when everybody is watching.

Beeck says he is very thankful for the opportunities and resources that were available to him during his time at Cal U and feels that, with preparation, he can overcome any challenge that he may face while working with the Buccaneers.

“Take advantage of every resource and add those skills to your tool belt,” said Beeck.

Overall, Beeck is very excited for what is to come this week and ultimately on Super Bowl Sunday. No matter which team wins, he says he will be forever grateful for the opportunities he has received recently and is looking forward to a great game.