Cal U hosts a virtual Black Lives Matter listening circle 

Cal U’s Black Lives Matter Listening Circle gives students a  chance to connect with others

Student Affairs Diversity Committee

Hosted every other Mondays at 1 p.m., the BLM listening circle will take place on November 9.

Veonna King, Staff Writer

Cal U’s student affairs diversity committee is hosting a Black Lives Matter Listening circle. This virtual listening circle gives students a chance to reflect, speak and listen to each other about the recent events surrounding Black lives.

“We created this so people can come together as a community and reflect around this issue,” said Dawn Moller, one of the creators of the listening circle and a Cal U counselor.

Moller alongside Sheleta Camarda-Webb, director of the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, are creators of this Black Lives Matter listening circle. Topics presented for attendees to discuss ranged from the impact of George Floyd’s death, students of color feeling comfortable on campus and how students are doing mentally. Students who join can answer honestly and truthfully given that there confidentially agreement before beginning the listening circle. 

“This right here is very needed and being able to have an open discussion about Black Lives Matter on campus,” said Cal U sophomore Montell Carlock. 

Carlock is one of the members who have attended the listening circle and plans to attend for the rest of the semester. Carlock and I have both attended the listening circle.

I consider the listening circle to be relieving given that there is confidently agreement upon entering. This left me with a feeling of security that what I say won’t be brought up again outside of the circle. There only about three Cal U students including myself that attended the meeting and three faculty members. Being that the meeting was so small we went ahead and all introduced ourselves. Two out of three faculty members were also counselors for Cal U. So this also made me personally feel comfortable with sharing as well. When the meeting started you were also given an option to put your camera and mic on. In this listening circle, you do not have to share or speak you don’t have to. 

“It’s worth joining, I love to speak out but I also love to listen and willing to learn,” said Carlock.

The listening circle is advertised within the university announcements. The listening circle is every other week on Mondays from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. The next meeting will be on November 9. Followed by another meeting on the 23.

Questions or concerns can be sent to Dawn Moller at [email protected]

“When attending you can expect to be heard, listened to, and also hear other students talk about their own experiences,” said Moller. 

Attend the circle through Zoom: https://caluhipaa.zoom.us/j/99832117451?pwd=ZTdlYVdMUkFhdHo0aDl6c1NyYkFydz09