The Glow: A Jack-o-Lantern Experience

Tom Caton, Staff Writer

It just is not Halloween without a jack-o-lantern or two. A traditional jack-o-lantern has two triangle-shaped eyes, a triangle-shaped nose, and a gapped-tooth grin.  But tradition has been thrown out the window at The Glow at Hartwood Acres in Pittsburgh, PA! There is still time to visit, so listen up to these details.

The Glow: A Jack-o-Lantern Experience, simply referred to as The Glow, is an annual Halloween jack-o-lantern display at Hartwood Acres. The Glow is a 1/3 mile trail filled with more than 5,000 hand carved jack-o-lanterns! You can experience everything from artistically detailed single pumpkin carvings to amazing, larger-than-life structures. You will see some of your favorite Disney characters, intricate pumpkin scenes, and other breath-taking moments along the walking trail.

The Glow captures the feel of fall and spirit of Halloween. Many of the pumpkins are real live pumpkins while others are molded from real pumpkins and then hand carved by super talented artists both locally and throughout the country to produce this fabulous experience. Real or molded, every single one has been hand carved by the amazing team of artists. Many of the pumpkins come from local farmers around the region.

The Glow begins preparing for the Halloween season months in advance. With more than 5,000 pumpkins to carve, the artists will need as much time as possible. Some carvings can take a few hours to complete, while others can take a few days. Believe it or not, some of the pumpkins that are created from molds take even longer to create. They are real sculptures and works of art. Jack has his assistants train all year to be able to produce the jack-o-lanterns you will see before you at The Glow.

The event is open October 4 through October 28, 2018 at Hartwood Acres. There is still time to go if you want to witness some intricate and ornate jack-o-lantern carvings! Tickets will cost you anywhere between $20 and $25. Log onto www.theglowjackolantern.com to find out more details, ticket prices, and event times if you plan to visit. Once you arrive, you can take a complementary photo with your family and friends to capture your memories at The Glow. Following that, you will walk on the trail and witness all the pumpkins. It can take you anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes to walk through and take in all the details.

The Glow definitely captures the spirit of Halloween and if you love jack-o-lanterns, this event will be right up your alley! So, trick or treat yourself with a visit to The Glow before the Halloween season ends!