Movie Preview: A Star Is Born

Tom Caton, Staff Writer

If you love musicals and romance, this is the movie for you! Just the title alone grabs the attention of the audience. “A Star Is Born” will not hit theaters until October 5, 2018, but here is a little inside scoop to the movie.

A remake of the 1937 film of the same name, it stars Cooper, Lady Gaga, Andrew Dice Clay, Dave Chappelle, and Sam Elliott, and follows a hard-drinking country musician (Cooper) who discovers and falls in love with a young singer (Gaga). It marks the third remake of the original 1937 film, which was adapted into a 1954 musical and then remade as a 1976 rock musical with Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson. In the 2018 remake, Gaga plays Ally, a struggling artist who has just given up her dreams to make it big as a famous singer. That is until Cooper who plays Jackson Maine coaxes her back into the spotlight. But even as Ally’s career takes off, the personal side of their relationship is breaking down, as Jack fights an ongoing battle with his own internal demons.

Talks of a third A Star Is Born remake began in 2011 with Clint Eastwood attached to direct and Beyoncé set to star. The film languished in development hell for several years with various actors, including Christian Bale, Leonardo DiCaprio, Will Smith and Tom Cruise, approached to co-star. In March 2016, Cooper signed on to star and make his directorial debut, and Lady Gaga joined the cast in August 2016. Principal photography began at the Coachella music festival in April 2017.

A Star Is Born premiered at the 75th Venice International Film Festival on August 31, 2018. The film received critical acclaim, with praise for Cooper and Gaga’s performances, Cooper’s direction, cinematography, and the music. This film was produced and directed by

Cooper, in his directorial debut. Cooper also wrote the screenplay with Will Fetters and Eric Roth. With a run time of 135 minutes, fans can expect every single minute to be thrilling, exciting, and packed full of surprises. With almost 10 million views on YouTube, the trailer for the film looks promising and fans cannot wait until the movie officially hits theaters on October 5.

So if musicals, romance, and drama keep you on the edge of your seat, then this movie is definitely one you will want to see! A star may be born inside of us once this movie premieres in theaters across the country.