A Letter from the Editor In Chief: Fall 2017

The members of the Cal Times staff pose for their Christmas photo for the December 8, 2017, issue of the Cal Times.
In the front row, left to right: Tristan Bartolomucci, Rachael McKriger and Colin Kirkwood.
In the second row, from left to right: Brad Britvich, Melissa Petruzzi, James Rudolph, Taylor Barta, Jeromy Mackey, Mari Boyle, Jessica Crosson, Danny Beeck and Olivia Wilson.

The members of the Cal Times staff pose for their Christmas photo for the December 8, 2017, issue of the Cal Times. In the front row, left to right: Tristan Bartolomucci, Rachael McKriger and Colin Kirkwood. In the second row, from left to right: Brad Britvich, Melissa Petruzzi, James Rudolph, Taylor Barta, Jeromy Mackey, Mari Boyle, Jessica Crosson, Danny Beeck and Olivia Wilson.

Jeff Helsel

Jeff Helsel

Rachael McKriger, Editor In Chief

Another semester down, and one more to go until summertime arrives.

It’s been truly an honor to work alongside the group of editors, staff writers, contributors and photographers that are on our staff at the Cal Times.

This is my second term as editor in chief of the Cal Times, and it couldn’t be possible without the work of our dedicated staff. We’re lucky to be able to print a paper issue twice a month, and provide online content throughout the whole semester.

Last year, we had a bunch of new editorial positions filled, but this year that wasn’t the case.

Mari Boyle returned as news editor, Jessica Crosson is taking care of entertainment for the second year in a row, Danny Beeck is owning the sports section for year two and Taylor Barta is taking care of our front page, photo spreads and being our utility man once again.

However, we did add a new opinions editor: James Rudolph.

James has provided amazing work, not just by laying out his section, but by providing a ton of articles each time. Sometimes he lets me slide in a few sports opinionated articles through, but James has done amazing with political coverage.

All of our editors have done a great job this year, and we’ve been proud of the content we’re putting out every week, whether it be online or in print.

That’s not to say we haven’t made any mistakes, but we’ve all taken our mistakes and corrected them. We’re working hard, despite making mistakes, and we’re going to do our best, week in and week out, to make our paper perfect.

We’re getting there, and we’re putting in a ton of work. I can speak on behalf of my staff that we’re dedicated to providing Cal U students with a newspaper that they can be entertained and informed with.

We provide truth, and we follow our code of ethics. We’re proud to be journalists, columnists, graphic designers and photographers.

I was lucky enough to attend a conference with Danny and one of our staff writers, Colin Kirkwood, about media on college campuses and beyond graduation.

We learned a lot about multimedia, and if you haven’t noticed, that’s something we’re really bringing to the table this semester, through our photos and videos.

We work hard with CUTV to provide coverage on Newscenter. We also work hard with them on sports shoots, bringing Cal U sports to viewers on television and YouTube.

Talk to Danny about that, he’s the media utility man.

This paper is the last of the fall semester, but come the spring semester we’ll work twice as hard. We’re a good, hard-working group that is dedicated to giving Cal U a great newspaper.

We’re constantly brainstorming new ideas on how to make our newspaper even better, and I’d love to hear from the people that actually read it! My email is underneath my byline, and if you have a suggestion, I’d be more than happy to hear it.

Until then, we’ll brainstorm in the newsroom, and we’ll continue to provide in-depth coverage about California University of Pennsylvania.

About the Contributors
Rachael McKriger, Editor In Chief

In her senior year of college, Rachael McKriger is serving her second consecutive term as Editor-In-Chief of the California Times in the 2017-18 school year. In addition to being Editor-In-Chief, McKriger also serves as a writer (mainly in sports) and photographer.

McKriger also writes outside of the Cal Times, as she’s a sports journalist for four websites. She covers the Pittsburgh Riverhounds and Pittsburgh Steelers for Pittsburgh Sports Castle, and just the Riverhounds for The Mon Goals of the Beautiful Game Network. She covers the Seattle Sounders FC — her favorite MLS club — and the National Women’s Soccer League for Last Word on Soccer. McKriger also has a freelance photography venture called McKriger Photography, which she started in March 2016.

Furthermore, outside of college, McKriger is a stringer (journalist) for the sports section of the Mon Valley Independent in nearby Monessen. She has held the job since July 20, 2017. Formerly, she was a copy editor at the Herald-Standard newspaper in Uniontown for nine months.

In addition, McKriger is on the W2M Network podcast called Soccer 2 The Max,” alongside Erik Watkins and Sean Garmer. The three talk about anything pertaining to soccer- domestically in the United States and even abroad.

At Cal U, McKriger is studying English with a concentration in Journalism. She is also studying for a minor in Sociology. She is also part of CUTV and the Society of Professional Journalists.

With the Cal Times, McKriger started out as a writer her first semester (fall 2015) and then became the Sports Editor in her second semester (spring 2016).

After her undergraduate career ends, McKriger plans on attending Point Park University to pursue a Master’s degree in Media Communications: Journalism.

Daniel Beeck, Editor-in-Chief

Daniel “Danny” Beeck is currently a senior at California University of Pennsylvania, studying Communication with a concentration in Radio/TV. Along with writing for Cal Times, he is an announcer for CUTV as well as a certified DJ with WCAL. He has aspirations of one day working as a sports reporter for his favorite football team, the New York Giants.