Vulcan Football players reflect on their season thus far

Don Wright/Sports Information

Quarterback Mike Keir leads the Vulcan offense.

Rachael Kriger, Editor In Chief

Craig McCorkle is ready for the upcoming 2016 PSAC football season. And he’s approaching it with high hopes and dreams, all which he believes are attainable.

McCorkle said that the team goal this year, as it was last year, was to win the PSAC Championship. However, McCorkle went further to say that the goal is to win a national championship with first-year head coach Gary Dunn taking over the reins.

McCorkle, who was a redshirt player last season, played in the offensive line position against Cheyney in the Vulcans season opener, where the routed Cheyney to a 79-3 win.

The Vulcans were close to making the playoffs last season, but missed out by a slim margin. This year, McCorkle hopes to claim a playoff spot, but doesn’t want it to be by a close margin.

As for wide receiver Tom Greene, he hopes the team can obtain all the championships the team can. Greene also added that he hopes himself, and the entire team members, can stay healthy in 2016.

Greene also got action against Cheyney, even scoring a touchdown on a 26-yard pass from quarterback Mike Keir. Greene noted that his relationship with Kier is a “strong and trusting one. We both rely on each other to complete the play called and you need that for success on offense.”

McCorkle also praised Keir, who threw for five touchdowns against Cheyney.

“Mike Keir is a very smart quarterback who can make great throws and great decision in difficult situations,” McCorkle said. “I have a lot of confidence that he will be very productive this season.”

Both players credit the success of the 79-3 win, and “hopefully” more big wins, to the “new team,” as McCorkle calls it, that was created by Coach Dunn.

“Dunn has taught me that Cal U is bigger than just football,” McCorkle said. “There are a lot of other great attributes that this community has to offer. Coach Dunn not only coaches us on the field, he mentors us, and coaches us in life. And he stays positive regardless of the circumstances.”

“What makes Coach Dunn a good coach is his player interaction,” Greene said. “He is involved with his players and is available off the field as well for personal situations.”

Both players are excited about the big win over Cheyney, but understand that they have a tough season ahead of them. Particularly, both players listed Cal U’s rival, Coal Bowl game against Indiana University of Pennsylvania as their must-attend game of the season. In last year’s Coal Bowl, IUP defeated Cal U, 20-15.

However, both players want to see Cal U students and members of the community out at Adamson Stadium for every home game. The Vulcans will face Indiana University of Pennsylvania on Saturday in the Coal Bowl. For McCorkle, he wants to give the fans the win they will want to see.

“I would just like to thank all of our supporters,” McCorkle said. “And I encourage everyone to come out to our game. This will help us on our journey to becoming PSAC champions.”