Irving looks forward to 2016 track season

Rachael Kriger, Cal Times Sports Editor

Gabby Irving has been running since she was in third grade. However, all the years of running never prepared her for the moment when she crossed the finish line at Youngstown State University National Invitational.
At YSU’s meet, Irving broke Cal U’s school record in the 200-meter dash. Irving didn’t win the race, as she placed second, but she broke Monique Sims record by five-hundredths of a second. Irving crossed the line with 25.28 seconds, breaking Sims 2012 record.
“The moment I crossed the finish line and looked at the clock, it was like a burst of joy came over my body. I remember running over to my teammates Corey [Allen] and Montre [Tates] and pushing them and screaming because I was so excited. I was the happiest girl in the facility. I couldn’t believe that I just put my name in the Cal U record books,” Irving said.
Irving, who is majoring in business with a minor in communications, is mainly a short sprinter who runs the 60-meter, 100-meter, and 200-meter races. She also participates in the 4×100-meter and 4×400-meter relay races. Before her college career she earned a varsity letter in her freshman year of high school at Garnet Valley High School.
However, high school wasn’t where Irving really started to run. “Running was a part of my life since I was a baby. I was always the fastest in gym class. I was even beating out the boys, so my parents finally started me in AAU track,” she said.
Irving said she initially made the decision to come to Cal U based on the track program, but then visited the campus where she said it was “beautiful and I enjoyed my surroundings.” Irving called running track in college a “huge blessing” and remembered placing at both the indoor and outdoor conference meets in her freshman year. “That was the most exciting part,” the sophomore said.
Irving credits a lot of her success, not just in track, but also in life to her coaches Daniel Caulfield, Tyler Throener, Sandy Estep, and Jackie (Pacentrilli) Caulfield. “Aside from anything track related, I’ve learned how to live. They taught me how to live my life the proper way. They taught me how to grow and develop for my future,” Irving said. She also said that for the older members of the track team, but only they explain it to her in a friend-to-friend way.
Irving might have broken a school record, but she’s excited to see how the rest of the season will play out. She expressed her excitement in running in the upcoming PSAC Championships, which will take place at Edinboro University on February 27 and 28. “I cannot wait to run at our conference championships. Coach Sandy tells us after every race, ‘there’s only one race that matters’ and of course that’s PSACs. I can’t wait for the team to put all of our hard work to the test,” she said.
However, that’s not for another few weeks. Up next for the track team is the Kent State Tune Up meet on February 20. For Irving, at the Kent State meet or any other meet, she will continue to enjoy the adrenaline and pray. “I pray all the time,” Irving said.