Get the Cal Times delivered to your Inbox!

Women’s Basketball Lose To Lock Haven in PSAC Semifinals

The Vulcans were Downed by the Bald Eagles
Owen Lukens (Lock Haven)
The Vulcans vs the Seton Hill Bald Eagles

On Saturday, Mar. 9 in the semifinals of the PSAC championship, the California Vulcans lost to the Lock Haven Bald Eagles 51-54. This is the end of the Vulcan’s conference run, but there is still the NCAA championships where California will look to change their luck.

This was a tightly contested match up all through the game, where defense was the biggest story. The Vulcans shot 21-68 (30.9%) as a team, their lowest coming from the first quarter. The same applied to Lock Haven, who as a team shot 20-60 (33.3%) from the floor.

Leading contributors for Lock Haven included Alana Robinson who had 16 points, 9 rebounds,3 assists, 2 blocks, and 1 steal. Jenadia Jordan had 13 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals, and Rhlyn Rouse with 7 points, and 10 rebounds.

The main contributors for the Vulcans were Allycia Harris with 15 points, 13 rebounds, 4 steals, and 2 blocks, Dejah Terrell had 11 points, 13 rebounds, and 6 blocks, and Sierra Bermudez with 19 points, and 3 rebounds.

Individual performances on each side did not translate to team performance, as both sides really struggled to put together any consistent offensive strings. In such a close game, free throws and 3 point makes were the difference. The Vulcans made 6 foul shots as compared to the Bald Eagles 10. In the 3 point category Lock Haven made 4 to California’s 3.

As teams go further into playoffs, games become more defensive and shooting percentages decrease, the competition between the two teams showed just that. The Vulcans, unable to obtain the PSAC championship, still have the opportunity to win in the NCAA tournament. For the first round of the NCAA tournament, California has the chance for retribution as they face Lock Haven once again, that game is slated for Friday, Mar. 15.

For all up-to-date information on standings, please visit calvulcans.com, or the PSAC Conference page, www.psacsports.org. For information on broadcasting and tickets please visit www.ncaa.com.