Get the Cal Times delivered to your Inbox!

PennWest Cal Theater to Present Spring Play

PennWest California Theater and University Players are back with their first production of the Spring Semester
She Kills Monsters, the spring play by the PennWest California Theatre
PennWest California Theatre

The PennWest California Theater Department is preparing to set the stage for a drama-comedy to kick off the spring semester.  “She Kills Monsters” will take viewers on a journey through fantasy role-playing games and 90s pop culture, while also telling a tale of friendship, loss, and acceptance. 

Sophomore Allison Dobrinski plays a lead role in the show.  Dobrinski expressed that while the play is guaranteed to be an exhilarating, humorous story, it also delves into deeper topics to which many college students can relate.

“‘She Kills Monsters’ is a story that covers many aspects of life that everyone faces,” said Dobrinski.  “Behind the face value of the D&D adventure, this is a multi-layered show that deals with the trouble of bullying, homophobia, grief, loss, and disability—to name a few.”

The play tells the story of Agnes Evans, a young woman coping with the death of her teenage sister, Tilly.  By diving into Tilly’s Dungeons and Dragons world, Agnes encounters an array of characters and creatures while discovering truths about her sister. 

Junior Jonathan Sape, playing the role of a demon overlord of the underworld, remarked that “She Kills Monsters” is unlike any other production that PennWest’s stage has ever seen. 

“The costumes are incredibly unique and intricate,” Sape said.  “The weapons that we use are real.  They are real steel weapons that add to the level of immersion.  The fight choreography is top-level.  Nothing this school has done can even come close to the level of detail and work that has been put into it.”

All of the music featured in “She Kills Monsters” is also student-made. 

Freshman Eli Barbacow, an ensemble member, expressed that the play stands out because of the actors’ dedication and hard work in preparing the fight choreography.

“I liked learning more about the other actors and how my body can move depending on the circumstance,” said Barbacow.

Dobrinski also remarked that the extensive effort put into “She Kills Monsters” renders it a show worth watching. 

“Many hands have touched this production, and everyone brings their own creative minds to create a world like no other,” Dobrinski said.  “Everyone, on stage or behind the scenes, has undoubtedly put 110% into this show, and it shows.”

Tickets for “She Kills Monsters” are currently on sale and can be purchased here. PennWest students will receive free entry with their student ID.  Non student tickets will be $12 for adults and $8 for seniors and children.  

The show will take place in the Blaney Theater in Steele Hall on Feb. 22-24 at 7 p.m. and Feb. 24 at 2 p.m.

“I think it’s a story for everyone,” Sape said.  “Even though it is very fun and interactive, it hits on a lot of very heavy and emotional themes that most people can relate to.  There is no way that someone couldn’t walk out of Steele Hall thinking, ‘man, that was really cool.’”