Get the Cal Times delivered to your Inbox!

Women’s Basketball Cruise Past Clarion

The Vulcans Take Down the Golden Eagles
Nathan Kurtz
Iyahnna Williams shooting a basket

On Wednesday, Feb. 14 the California Vulcans cruised passed the Clarion Golden Eagles 84-53. This win extends their winning streak to three, which pushes the Vulcans from 4th to 3rd in the PSAC West and are currently still tied with the Edinboro Fighting Scots. The Vulcans record now stands at 17-7 overall, and 12-6 in conference play. 

California retained control the entire game, outscoring Clarion all four quarters, and as a team they led in every statistical category. The Vulcans shot 31-69 (44.9%), while the Golden Eagles shot 19-58 (32.8%). California is not a team to rely on the deep ball shot, but were 7-18 (38.9%) from deep, with Bermudez leading the charge. 

Scoring leaders for the Vulcans include Iyahnna Williams who had an all-round game with 15 points, 7 rebounds, and 6 assists, and the aforementioned Bermudez with 16 points, 4 rebounds, and 2 assists. Clarion’s leading scorers were Autumn Taylor who finished with 18 points, 1 rebound, and 1 assist, and Sadre’a Rougeau, whose shooting was electric and had 15 points, 1 rebound, and 1 steal. 

As the end of the season approaches, the Vulcans are not finished, as any win or loss could affect the team’s playoff hopes. The PSAC West, standing wise, is more competitive than PSAC East as three teams have already clinched a playoff berth, whereas the West has had only one team clinch and that is the nationally ranked Gannon Golden Knights, who as per the last poll are ranked 5th in the nation. 

The next games slated for California are away on Wednesday, Feb. 21st against Pitt-Johnstown, Saturday, Feb. 24th at home against the Mercyhurst Lakers, and at home on Wednesday, Feb. 28th versus the IUP Crimson Hawks. 

For all up-to-date information on standings and broadcasting information, please visit calvulcans.com, or the PSAC Conference page, www.psacsports.org, and watch live on CUTVSPORTS1 with CUTV.

Stat Leaders: Scoring… Terrell 366 pts; Rebounds… Terrell 209 reb; Steals… Shaw 56 stl; Assists… Shaw 103