Get the Cal Times delivered to your Inbox!

Vulcans Continue to Roll, Defeat UPJ 95-74

Recap of Pitt-Johnstown @ California Vulcans (Men’s)
Nathan Kurtz
Dalman Alexander shooting (Vulcans vs. the Mountain Cats)

The California Vulcans’ men’s team played host to the visiting Pittsburgh-Johnstown Mountain Cats in the second game of the double-header on Wednesday, January 24.  The Vulcans entered play at 14-2 overall and 8-2 in conference play, while the Mountain Cats came into the game at 5-12 overall, and only 3-8 in the PSAC West.  

The Vulcans are making their push among the top teams in the PSAC West and continue to show why they were projected to finish at the top of the conference, as they were able to handedly defeat the Mountain Cats, 95-74.

The leading scorers of the game for the Vulcans were sophomore K.J. McClurg with 25 points, and senior Jermaine Hall Jr., who posted a season-high point total, as he was able to pile up 24 points, along with seven rebounds, and connected on six 3-pointers throughout the game as well.  This was Hall’s second straight game surpassing 20 points, as he seems to be hitting his stride at the perfect time for his team.

When asked about what the key to his recent success was, he credited his work ethic and the help of his teammates creating opportunities for him.

“Just being in the gym and working,” said Hall.  “We’ve been practicing pretty hard, getting more and more shots up everyday, and just staying locked in at all times.  Just mentally, trying to let the game come to me and just staying prepared in the moment.”

Hall has been a prominent player for the University since the 2018-19 season, as he has already surpassed 1,000 points in his career, along with over 600 rebounds and managing to shoot 47% over 86 career games, starting in every game he’s appeared in.

The Vulcans continue to put up impressive offensive numbers, as they rank second in the PSAC West in offensive points per game, at just over 87 points per contest.

“We just play very unselfishly, and you’ve seen that tonight with everyone just clicking and staying prepared,” said Hall.  “Just allowing everyone to stay focused, and understanding our game plan going into each game.  We always say ‘no ceiling’ in reference to our potential and we just gotta keep rolling with it.”

Jermaine Hall being interviewed by Andrew White (Noah Turner)

Hall, being one of the two seniors on this team, alongside Zyan Collins, takes a lot of pride in being a part of this team and carries himself with integrity and great leadership qualities, which has been a huge part of the Vulcan’s  success throughout the season.

California sits at the top of the PSAC West along with Gannon, both teams with only two losses on the season.  The Vulcans were able to defeat Gannon back on January 6th by a score of 99-84, and the two teams are set to play again next Saturday, February 3rd, as California travels to Erie to take on the Golden Knights in a battle of the best.

Following the win, California sits at 15-2 overall and 9-2 in the conference, with their only losses coming from West Chester and Slippery Rock.  Pitt-Johnstown falls to 5-13 overall and 3-9 in conference play, sitting at the bottom of the PSAC West.  

The Vulcans will travel to Mercyhurst on Saturday, January 27, followed by a trip to IUP on Monday, January 29.  Those two games should prove to be a tough task, as those two teams sit right in the middle of the standings and look to try and throw the Vulcans off their game while on the road.

View Comments (1)