Get the Cal Times delivered to your Inbox!

Women’s Basketball Streak Continues for Vulcans

Vulcans Win Against Pitt-Johnstown in Overtime Thriller
Nathan Kurtz
Dejah Terrell with the Game Tipoff

On Wednesday, January 24 in the evening the California Vulcan women’s basketball team improved their record to 13-4 overall, and 8-3 in conference play, after a nail-biter against the Pitt-Johnstown Mountain Cats, winning 89-86 in OT.

California entered the game down two starters, Allycia Harris and Jordan Smith. This set the stage for Sierra Bermudez and Iyahnna Williams, both transfers coming into this season, who got the start and looked comfortable on the floor, as they have been a key part of the rotation for Coach Jess Strom this season.

California started the game on top before the Mountain Cats had a chance to respond. It was not long before UPJ found their rhythm and shot comfortably from the 3. UPJ as a team shot 11-24 from deep, as compared to the Vulcans 4-14, with three of those makes coming from Bermudez, who has continued to be a much needed three-point threat for this team.

“It feels good, it’s a lot of pressure especially in close games, but it feels good to be relied on,” Bermudez said after the game. She also had 3 steals on the defensive side, disrupting the Mountain Cats on shot attempts and playing the passing lane.

Other notable Vulcan performances were Dejah Terrell, and Nina Shaw. Terrell finished the night with 21 points, 8 rebounds, and 2 blocks before fouling out in the 4th quarter. Shaw had 12 points, 7 assists, and 2 steals.

Bermudez and Shaw never saw the bench, both playing the entire 45 minutes. “At first I was exhausted but I knew I had to push through because I knew it was all mental. 4th quarter and OT I kept pushing through the tiredness,” said Bermudez. Shaw is no stranger to playing the majority of a basketball game as she is nationally ranked top 10 in minutes per game in the Women’s Division II basketball.

Freshman Kimaya Williams came off the bench and had 6 points, 7 rebounds, and 2 assists. The Mountain Cats leaders Cassidy Crawford and Peyton Alazaus combined for 50 points, with Alazuas shooting 50% from deep.

Every play mattered, as California outscored Pitt-Johnstown 12 to 9 in overtime. With this win, the Vulcans now improve to 2nd in the PSAC West. California is looking to defend their PSAC Title from 2023, which is no easy feat with the talent in the conference.

As the first half of conference play wraps up, the Vulcans will play the Lakers of Mercyhurst (12-5,8-3) on Saturday, January 27. On Monday, January 29, the Vulcans go on the road to play the IUP Crimson Hawks (12-4,8-3). California returns home on Wednesday, January 31, as they go up against the Fighting Scots of Edinboro (9-7,7-4).

For all up to date information on standings and broadcasting information, please visit calvulcans.com, or the PSAC Conference page, www.psacsports.org.