God of War Strikes Again

After years of anticipation, developers at Santa Monica Studios have officially released one of the hottest games of the year, “God of War: Ragnarok.”

Andrew White, Staff Writer

This game is based on the storyline of the 2018 version of the franchise, which was statistically one of the best-selling games of the past decades, as well as the most watched video game of that year. Which proved to be one of the biggest years in gaming history with the evolution of platforms such as Twitch and YouTube prioritizing live streaming.

Fans have already watched more than 20 million hours of gameplay from the newest game, “God of War: Ragnarok,” in only a few days of its release, according to TwitchTV.  This allows developers to offer exclusive access to specific streamers with bigger audiences to advertise their game and showcase it to their viewers, thus hyping the game up even more.

The hype surrounding the latest “God of War” franchise is understandable, as fans have been waiting for nearly four years to have the series finale released.  The story of the game covers Ragnarok, an important event in the story revolving around Norse mythology, which was explained in the previous title.

“It’s been a long time coming,” said Dalton Carmello, a local streamer on Twitch and frequent video game enthusiast.  “This franchise is one of the best in the business, and if you’re someone who keeps up with “God of War,” this one is sure to live up to expectation.”

“The graphics are out of this world too.  I mean, I thought the last game was impressive but this one blows it out of the water.  And to see the difference between this game and the games I used to play when I was younger, it really makes you appreciate the dedication and effort put into video games nowadays.”

This franchise started out back in 2005 with the release of the original “God of War,” which was released on the PlayStation 2.  “God of War” was an action-adventure hack and slash video game published by Sony Computer Entertainment.  First released on March 22, 2005, this is the first installment in the series and the third chronologically.

“God of War: Ragnarok” released on November 9, 2022 exclusively for PlayStation 4 and 5, making it the first of the series to be cross-gen.  This game will not be available on Xbox or PC, as Sony still holds all rights to the game itself, and its partnership with PlayStation does not allow for them to release the game across multiple platforms.  This however, has not stopped “God of War” from being one of the most popular video games of all time.

The video game has also now broken a series sales record in under a week since launch, surpassing the last successful game within 3 days of release. The new game has received widespread critical acclaim since its release, and fans are not shy to show love to the newly launched action-adventure game.  Each “God of War” video game has gone down as one of the best-selling games of that era, and the feedback surrounding each game is always nothing but positive and supportive.

“Go back and check all of the reviews of the old games, you won’t find one bad one!” said Nick Pryor, a student at PennWest California and a huge fan of the franchise.

“I’ve been playing these since the old PS2 days.  The gameplay is thoroughly enjoyable.  Whether Kratos (main character) is taking on multiple groups of enemies, battling mythological creatures, solving puzzles and riddles, or simply just exploring the open world, is a great experience.”

The difference between this franchise and other gaming franchises is the extra mile that the developers at Santa Monica Studios seem to do when outlining the game with not only a great storyline, but to fill the game with resonating sounds and visuals to maximize the experience every gamer should feel when loading into this slashing game.  Something as simple as the graphics surrounding water to the details of the mythological creatures can make the game feel that much better and more naturally enjoyable.

The developers have been working endlessly the last few years to ensure the experience felt when playing this game is as good, if not better, than expected.

Game director and developer Matt Sophos sat down for an interview with PressStart Entertainment over the weekend to discuss the game.

“Something that was really loved in the first game, and obviously is here too, is not just the big narrative moments, but the little bits of dialogue that happen when you’re on your boat, or just exploring off the beaten track.  A lot of games have tried to do it, but I think this still does it better than a lot of those.  I think what this game does really well is that almost every new gameplay mechanic is tied to something significant in the story, or the world.”

The game has been rated a 9.5/10, or 95.1% exceptional, in a recent poll on MetaCritic, surpassing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 as the highest rated game of the year.