Pennsylvania Western Going International

PennWest launches Global Online website

Max Gauden, Staff Writer

Pennsylvania Western University launched the official website for the Global Online learning program earlier this week.

The website gives potential students a look at what PennWest GO has to offer, such as the online academic programs, admissions information, and tuition details.

The launch of the website comes after the October 2021 announcement of the three universities’ integration into what is now known as PennWest, which also included the announcement of the expansion of the online program into PennWest GO.

The homepage of the website includes some reasons as to why students would be interested in online education programs, such as the flexibility and affordability when compared to in-person classes. The homepage also includes some featured online programs, like a Master’s of Exercise Science, Doctor of Criminal Justice, and a Master of Social Work.

PennWest GO is the preferred option for some new and potential students instead of taking classes on the respective campuses.

Joe Myers, a senior at PennWest California, said online classes can just be a lot more convenient at times.

“There’s so much that students need to pay for at college, like food, housing, and books, that you basically have to have a job,” Myers said. “But fitting in shifts is tough when you have set class times. That’s why I really enjoy online classes, since I can do them on my own time.”

Besides current college students, the website is also aimed for high school graduates entering college, many of whom got their first taste of online classes during the COVID-19 pandemic. Other types of students included are graduate, international, military, and transfer students.

The website features the complete list of online academic programs it offers, stating that each one is taught by skilled professors and not graduate students or teaching assistants. Also included are academic policies, state authorization, and an academic catalog.

Despite it being online, PennWest GO still offers scholarships and financial aid like traditional universities do. The website states that $14 million in scholarships is given out every year and step-by-step instructions on how to apply for financial aid is also included.

On every page of the website is an “Apply” button, which gives users an insight as for what to expect when applying and how long it takes, as well as a link to the application form.

Some alumni have taken interest in this new online program.

Brittany Pietrzyk, who attended Edinboro University before graduating from Cal U thinks it’s that students can do their entire programs online while still being a part of their universities.

“When I was in school, I worked full-time which left me with little time for anything other than homework and work,” Pietrzyk said. “I absolutely would have benefitted from PennWest GO, and will keep it in mind if I ever want to go back to school.”

Links to PennWest GO can be found on PennWest social media pages, as well as in students’ emails.