Cal U twirlers hard work pays off in the Fall

Photo by Matt Palichat

Rachael Kriger, Cal Times Contributor

Is twirling a baton classified as a sport? For many people, it is merely considered a hobby or extracurricular activity. However for competitive twirlers, it is a whole different story. The three twirlers for the Cal U marching band believe it certainly is a sport. They incorporate flexibility and components of gymnastics and dance in their routines. To them, it takes a lot of practice, work, sweat, and time.

The three twirlers that Cal U students see during the halftime marching band shows are senior Adriene Walls, junior Katie Karlic, and freshman Megan Teres. The three girls are close friends and it shows in their chemistry during the routine. “Not only do we all get along really well, but we have even coordinated some exchanges within the show together. Overall, it’s a good environment,” said Karlic.

The twirlers have all been twirling since they were young, but stepping on the field during a halftime show has been a whirlwind experience for them. Teres, who is learning all about the experience since she is a freshman, said that it is “very exciting to have a large crowd that supports you. I can’t wait to twirl for three more years.” Karlic, who after this season has one year left in her twirling college career, says it’s spectacular to show the student body what twirling is all about. However for Walls, who’s college twirling journey will come to a close after this season, said what she’ll miss most is “the incredible people I have met and performing. I will cherish the many memories as I move on to the next phase of my life.”

One part of the show that amazes people during their show is the fire batons. All three twirlers said that it really isn’t as scary as it looks, but more simply put in the words of Walls, “as long as the batons moving, you won’t get burnt.” Megan Teres, however, hasn’t taken too much of Walls’ ease with the fire twirling. “I love twirling fire at home games because it is very exciting to have the crowd cheering you on. Even though twirling fire is exciting, I’m still worried about catching my hair on fire.”

Catch the girls twirling one, two, or even three fire batons and non-fiery batons during the halftime shows during the home games against Seton Hill (10/3), Clarion (10/24), Mercyhurst (11/7) and on the road against IUP on (10/17).