Cal U’s American Sign Language Club hosts “Sticker Sale”

Katie Lowery, contributor

The Cal U American Sign Language Club hosted a sticker sale Monday through Thursday. It took place in the Natali Student Center from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. each day.

The sticker sale benefited the ASL Club’s future endeavors, according to ASL Club vice president, Lindsay Pegg.

“This is the first ASL Club fundraiser of the semester,” Pegg said. “It is going to benefit the future of the ASL Club and its activities.”

According to Pegg, the goal of the club is to spread awareness of the deaf community and American Sign Language.

“The goal of the club is to educate ourselves and others about deaf culture and sign language,” Madeline Hawkins, ASL Club president, said.

“We want to advocate for those who can’t,” MacKenzie Darst, ASL Club member since 2019, said. “We believe everyone deserves to have a voice.”

If you missed the sticker sale, there is no need to worry. The ASL Club has other events planned for this semester, including potlucks, guest speakers, and more, according to Pegg.

“At the beginning of the semester, our executive board was excited to plan events for our members,” Pegg said. “Along with the sticker sale, we have had a Q&A session with TikTok influencers Kylee and TJ, who is a deaf girl and her father. We have even more future events to look forward to.”

The ASL Club will also be putting together a bulletin board for the language and learning center on campus, along with bringing in additional guest speakers, Hawkins said.

Meetings are held every other Tuesday at 4 p.m. in Morgan Hall room 276C, Hawkins said. The next meeting will be held November 2.

Being in the ASL Club has broadened her experiences, Darst said.

“We did a sign language bingo at Center in the Woods before COVID,” Darst said. “It was such a great time seeing all the older patients enjoy themselves and win candy. Being in the club has broadened my volunteer experiences.”

“I love being in the club because it unites students around campus who have a love for language and helping others,” Pegg said. “It has made me a better leader, as well.”

Pegg said that being in the club is helping prepare for her future career.

“Knowledge of American Sign Language will be valuable in my future field of speech language pathology,” Pegg said. “Being aware of the deaf community gives me a better understanding of my patients I may work with in the future.”

Hawkins is a communication disorders major and said that being part of the club prepares her for her future career, since she may be working with non-verbal patients.

“It helps me learn ways to better communicate,” Hawkins said. “I love the positive atmosphere the clu creates and how easy it is to learn the language and the culture.”

According to Darst, the club has taught her many signs that may be important for when she encounters deaf people.

“I love being able to gather more skills and experience for my future career,” Darst said.