Are you a part of the Four Year Graduation Plan?

Harleigh Wisenbach, contributors

“The Four Year Graduation Plan guarantees that students graduate in that four year time-frame as long as they stay compliant, meaning earning at least 30 credits per year, with at least a 2.0 GPA, and that they don’t change their major,” said Julie Osekowski, an academic counselor at the Scheduling Center.

According to Osekowski, transfer students are not eligible, and neither are students in exploratory studies unless they declare a major by their second semester.

Students in the FYGP get priority registration, starting on and through the week of Oct. 26, but they are not the only students eligible. Priority registration for the Spring 2022 semester opens for students in ADA, the Honors Program, the Four-Year Graduation Plan (FYGP), the military or are a military dependent, as well as veterans, athletes, and students involved in other extra-curricular activities.

Osekowski said the best way to prepare for priority registration is for students to meet with their advisor and review degreeworks.

“Those are the two biggest tools for success for getting the schedule that you want and the times that you want,” Osekowski said. “The earlier the better.”

Mark Aune, director of the Honors Program, also suggests Schedule Planner as a tool for preparing to register. The Schedule Planner is available through VIP and allows students to visually plan their schedule and save it for easy access during the registration period.

“Be prepared and don’t panic,” Aune said.

Senior Betsy Klopcic, who receives priority registration through the Honors Program, uses the Schedule Planner to make scheduling faster.

“I woke up at 6:45 a.m., registration opened at 7, I was done before it hit 7:01,” Klopcic said.

Junior Noah Proctor, who receives priority registration through ADA, also utilizes Schedule Planner.

“That schedule plan allows me to see what classes inevitably have time conflicts, or what classes have some nonsensical prerequisites, which means regardless of my pre-priority status, I have to go to my advisor and secretary and ask them for a permit to force through these restrictions” Proctor said.

According to Osekowski, students should email the Scheduling Center for help when they receive error messages while scheduling. It is also helpful if the student either brings their own laptop with the error open or takes a screenshot of it.

“If it’s something we can fix quickly, we’re going to fix it pretty quickly,” Osekowski said. “If it’s something that needs some other intervention, we’re going to reach out to that academic department and see if we can get an answer as quickly as we can.”

If there is an issue with scheduling that is major-specific, Osekowski recommends the student should ask their advisor.

Aune said that students can email himself or Kim Orslene with scheduling issues involving the Honors Program.

“Always have your Campus Wide ID and your major ready to go if you’re coming to the Scheduling Center, because we can process your request and answer your questions so much faster,” Osekowski said. “We get a lot of walk-in traffic during registration and we want to be able to help as many people as we can. The more you are prepared as a student, the faster we can help.”