Swimming splits home tri-meet vs MEC teams

Jeff Helsel

Cal U sophomore Antonia Gheorghita wins the 100 yard backstroke by over three-tenths of a second with a time 1 minute, 3.68 seconds at the tri-meet versus Frostburg State and Davis & Elkins, Hamer Hall, Oct. 23, 2021.

Matthew Kifer, Sports Information Director

(CALIFORNIA, Oct. 23, 2021) The Vulcans earned six individual victories on Saturday afternoon while posting a split in a tri-meet against Mountain East Conference (MEC)-members Frostburg State and Davis & Elkins at Hamer Hall.

With the split, the California University of Pennsylvania swimming team moves to 2-2 in dual matches while opening the season this weekend. The Vulcans claimed a 179-81 victory against the Senators and suffered a 144-116 loss versus the Bobcats. Meanwhile, Frostburg State registered a 193-67 win over D&E.

Sophomore Gabby Miller reached the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) qualifying standards while winning both the 50 and 100 freestyle for the second-straight day. She claimed the victory in the 50 freestyle by over 1.4 seconds with a time of 24.92 seconds and also touched the wall in 55.99 seconds in the 100 freestyle, which was the top time in the event by over two seconds.

Sophomore Antonia Gheorghita recorded three victories in the home tri-meet on Saturday. She posted the win in the 100 backstroke by over three-tenths of a second with a time 1 minute, 3.68 seconds. Gheorghita won the 200 backstroke by over five-tenths of a second after registering a time of 2:20.19. The Ontario native also claimed the victory in the 200 butterfly after touching the wall in 1:03.61 seconds, which was over six-tenths of a second faster than the field.

Freshman Madison Moretti cruised to the victory in the 200 freestyle at Hamer Hall by over one full second with a time of 2:04.51. She also finished second overall in the 500 freestyle with a time of 5:39.19.

The 200 freestyle relay of Miller, junior Leah Trocchio freshman Emily Guffey, and junior Rachel Kennedy placed second with a time of 1:45.93.

Individually, Guffey finished second overall in three events on Saturday. She posted a time of 2:29.00 in the 200 butterfly before finishing with a time of 1:04.26 in the 100 butterfly. Guffey also placed second in the 200 IM after touching the wall in 2:23.26.

The Vulcans return to action next weekend with a pair of road tri-meets against East Stroudsburg and Kutztown on Oct. 29-30.