Vulcan men’s soccer team in good hands under Sabic

In his last season, senior Lubos Kubik is looking to lead a young squad to contention under coach Emedin Sabic.

Rachael Kriger, Cal Times Contributor

While other members of Keion Randolph’s class at Pennsbury High School celebrated at their junior prom, Keion went to a soccer tournament. Little did Randolph know that going to that soccer tournament over the prom would impact his future in the long run.

It was at the tournament that he met former assistant coach of the Cal U men’s soccer team, Brady Sanders. Sanders saw Randolph’s game, conversed with him for a few months, and then invited him to a summer camp where he met the head coach. It was the visit, as well as hearing about the university’s criminal justice program, that solidified Randolph’s commitment to Cal U. “The team,” Randolph, who is in his freshman year, said, “was just the icing on the cake.”

Randolph is currently a substitute on the team. He says as soon as he gets on the field, that he wants to make a big impact, but for now, he waits patiently to see what new first year Coach Emedin Sabic will do. “He’s a great coach. He definitely knows the game very well. Every practice he tells us exactly what we need to focus on and he shows us how we can achieve that goal.” Sabic is in his first year at head coach for the Vulcans, but has spent many years coaching for Cal U.

The Vulcans recruited other freshman as well, including Germany native Lucas Exner. Exner is a goalie for the team, and so far is a substitute. “I want to play every game but it’s ultimately up to the coach,” Exner said. Exner, who is from Horstmar, Germany, says he’s learned so much from his new teammates and loves Cal U because of “the whole surrounding here. Everything seems cool and it’s a good place to experience.” Just like Randolph, who is actually Exner’s roommate, he had nothing but good things to say about his new coach. “He is a good coach,” Exner said. “I think I can learn much from him and I enjoy working with him.”

Another international member of the team is Lubos Kubik. Kubik is in his senior season with the team and made his way over from the Czech Republic. He said his major change from playing soccer in the Czech Republic to Cal U was the move from a club team to a school team. “In my home country the system for soccer and school is completely different. In Czech Republic you can only play for your club and not for school so that was little change. However, the overall transition to play here for Cal U was great because I had great teammates and coaches around me who helped with everything related to soccer and even outside of the field.”

Kubik, who is a defender for the Vulcans, steps into another role for the Vulcans: the leadership role. “I always remember the times when I was a freshman and I looked up to the seniors and being one of them now just makes me realize how far I have become and with that experience I hope I can set up high standards and great work ethic for the rest of the team,” Kubik said.      Kubik, just like his other teammates, also praised the work of his new head coach. “Coach Sabic is a smart coach who understand the players’ needs and always looks for any possible way to help us to improve in every possible way. He puts a lot of trust in our hands and that always gives confidence to the players.” Also enjoying their new coach is fellow senior Anthony DiFrancesco. DiFrancesco, a forward, says that Sabic has “done a great job preparing us for this upcoming season. Sending us stuff this summer to follow and come into the season fit. Game to game he has also done a great job preparing us for who we are playing against and what to expect from our opponent.” DiFrancesco noted that he believes that the team’s biggest competition is Merychurst University, whom they will go against on October 13. “They’re always a tough team to play and are finishing first or second in the conference consistently.”

However, before the team reaches Merychurst, they still have to go through many games, including ones against PSAC contenders, which include: West Chester, Bloomsburg, East Stroudsburg, and Millersville.