Softball Coach Bertagnolli recognizes graduating senior and talks about the program (Video)

Jeff Helsel

The California University of Pennsylvania softball team 2020

Matthew Kifer, Sports Information Director

Cal U athletics will be recognizing senior student-athletes virtually as a way to celebrate the seniors that were unable to have their traditional recognition this spring.

SIERRA BESSER-PAUL
• Position
: Outfield
• Hometown: Montreal, Quebec
• High School: Howard S. Billings
• Parents: Michael Paul and Sally Besser
• Major: Health Science

What was your favorite college experience outside of athletics?
I think just being a college student in the US was such a fun experience for me. I’m from Montreal, Canada, and over there everyone commutes. College is just a place to study in Montreal, but at Cal U it was so much more. My friends back home never got to experience living in dorms or being able to live with all your best friends at Vulcan [Village]! I loved every moment of college from the football games to late nights with my friends that I’ll never forget. Cal U really became my second home.

What will you miss most about Cal U Softball?
What I’ll miss most about Cal U Softball are the girls and the energy that was brought to practice 24/7. Everyday Coach B [Bertagnolli] would come to practice with a big smile on his face and we were always ready to work hard. I’ll definitely miss being around such driven, hard-working girls who still knew how to have a good time!

What was your favorite moment as a student-athlete at Cal U?
My favorite moment as a student-athlete would have to be playing in Arizona [this spring]. I have never been to Arizona and it was amazing being surrounded by these big beautiful mountains every day. I remember being in the outfield looking up at the mountains thinking that they looked just like a painting because they were so perfect. The experiences and memories that I have gotten as a student-athlete are something that I will be able to keep with me for the rest of my life. I am forever grateful for what softball has brought me.

What advice would you give to incoming freshmen about college athletics?
I would tell incoming freshmen to give 110% every day. You hear people say this all the time, but those four years go by extremely fast! Soak up every moment and don’t take anything for granted. I never expected to have my senior year cut short, but I am finishing my softball career with no regrets and that’s a great feeling.

Cal U Sports Information
Sierra Besser-Paul