Career centers team up to connect college students, employers

Cal U joins ‘sister’ universities to offer virtual recruitment sessions

PASSHE- West Virtual Recruitment Campaign.

Cal U Public Relations

When universities transition to online learning, how do student job-seekers and employers stay connected?

Cal U’s Career and Professional Development Center is teaming up with career centers from Clarion, Edinboro, Indiana and Slippery Rock universities to present the PASSHE-West Virtual Recruitment Campaign.

The campaign will use virtual technologies to introduce employers and other organizations to students at the five Pennsylvania’s State System of Higher Education (PASSHE) universities.

Collectively, the schools enroll more than 30,000 students, expanding the reach of employers who choose to take part in the pilot program. So far, nearly 50 employers have signed on.

“All of our institutions utilize Handshake, one of the largest online recruiting platforms for college students nationwide,” says Rhonda Gifford, director of career and professional development at Cal U.

“We are leveraging our shared technology and resources for the benefit of all of our students.”

Each university is working to promote the program to its students. At the online recruiting sessions, students can meet with employers via Zoom to learn more about jobs and internship opportunities.

“Virtual events such as these are allowing us to stay connected with our career center and potential employers to ensure we stay on track with our career readiness,” says Abbey Bauer, a student enrolled in Cal U’s school counseling program.

Career center directors say that despite the disruption caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, employers remain interested in recruiting college students.

The PASSHE-West Virtual Recruitment campaign runs from April 16 through May 11.

Future campaigns will be announced in May, and results of the pilot program will be shared with State System career centers in central and eastern Pennsylvania.

Employers who are interested in connecting with students through the Virtual Recruitment Campaign may contact the career center at any participating university.

Employers who wish to host a future session can reach the Cal U Career Center at [email protected].

Students can register through the Events section of their Handshake account. For questions, email [email protected].