Movie Review: The Post

Daniel Beeck, Sports Editor

With a cast list that includes big name actors in Tom Hanks, Meryl Streep and Sarah Paulson, The Post combines the historical values of the 1970s, with the ever-present spirit of journalism that holds true today. Director Steven Spielberg flexed his filmmaking prowess with two of the more notable actors, and made sure that their characters lived up to the roles that they held.

A story based around journalism and the Vietnam War in the ‘70s, Ben Bradlee (Hanks) is the editor of the Washington Post, and works side by side with the country’s first female newspaper publisher, Kay Graham (Streep). With two converging plots surrounding the Washington Post and the well-established New York Times, Bradlee begins scraping for every story he can push out to the masses, no matter the consequence.

The surprising front page from the New York Times that reveals secrets withheld from the American people about the Vietnam War sends shockwaves through the country, and eventually the Washington Post.

Graham, taking over the role of publisher from her recently deceased father, is pressed with the opportunity to go public with the paper, bringing in revenue and popularity throughout the journalistic world.

When the news breaks of the Times revealing the cover up from four of the U.S. presidents, the heat gets put on the staff of the Post when they discover more information about the astonishing truth about America’s involvement in Vietnam.

When it comes to the acting, the duo of Streep and Hanks being on the same team is not only interesting, but it is also rewarding as a member of the audience. You can see their personalities crash, when the character played by Hanks is willing to break rules of journalism in order to crush the competition, and the need to prove herself from Streep’s role.

Having a close relationship with the many people involved in the government scandal, both Streep and Hanks are faced with the decision of whether or not to throw a relationship under the bus, in order to see the success of the newspaper skyrocket.

Spielberg was faced with the shortest production schedule in his storied career, due to the timeliness of the film with the current political climate. Assembling his team in March of 2017, the team of talented individuals worked around the clock in order to push out a film that captured the magnitude, and intensity of these incredible sequence of events.

The camera work was obviously a strong point for the accomplished director, but the way in which the production of the newspaper stood out to me more, due to the fact that many have not seen exactly how newspapers were produced in the ’70s.

Getting up-close-and-personal with the actors and documents that revealed the cover up gave the audience the feeling that they had an inside scoop on all of the events that were taking place.

The unique aspect of this film is the fact that not only will it grab the attention of people who value screenplay, but it will also attract “history geeks” that want to take a step back in time to experience the tales of the past.

The acting gave this movie a different meaning when it comes to just how powerful these acts shook the nation. If you are into journalism, history, or even a fan of the great Tom Hanks, you need to get to see this movie.

I give The Post a solid 7.8 out of 10, and I believe that this film quite possibly could rake in the awards when Oscar season rolls around.

About the Writer
Daniel Beeck, Editor-in-Chief
Daniel “Danny” Beeck is currently a senior at California University of Pennsylvania, studying Communication with a concentration in Radio/TV. Along with writing for Cal Times, he is an announcer for CUTV as well as a certified DJ with WCAL. He has aspirations of one day working as a sports reporter for his favorite football team, the...