Family Day Thriller: Vulcans Fall to West Chester Rams

Cal+U+vs.+West+Chester+starting+lineup.+

Jonathan Hershey

Cal U vs. West Chester starting lineup.

Jonathan Hershey, Staff Writer

After 90 minutes of regulation the Vulcans fell to the Rams 2-1. The team’s first loss was tough despite the strong start to the season. California was quickly scored on with 41:23 left in the first half. The Vulcans rebounded though with a strong offensive movement throughout the rest of the game.

The men’s team came back with a goal from freshman, Cooper Amos, with 30:44 left in the first. After scoring, with his family and friends were there to cheer him on, the McDonald native stated “It gives me more motivation to play better and it just pumps me up.”

The team did a great job with ball movement throughout the match. Substitutions kept the team with fresh legs and enough time for some starters to rest. Another notable player on the Family Day quarrel, Ahmad Awadalla, had spectacular free kicks that set up numerous offensive opportunities.

With 9:11 left in the second half West Chester scored their second goal to put them ahead. After the goal the Vulcans pressed harder despite the Rams purposely taking their time to waste the clock.

After the loss, the Vulcans are now tied for 5th place with 4 points. West Chester leads the PSAC standings with 9 points. California’s next two games are home with Wednesday against Cedarville at 7pm and Saturday vs Bloomsburg at 1pm.

screen-shot-2016-09-19-at-2-11-08-pm