That’s All Folks!

Cal Times Senior Editors Bid Farewell

Seniors (from left to right) Jose Negron, Lauren Griffith, Katie DelVerne, Connor Marshman

Jose Negron: Editor-in-chief
It’s hard to believe that it’s almost over. Four years here at Cal U have come and gone, and it’s pretty unreal to be honest. In four years with the Cal Times, I have served as a Staff Writer, Sports Editor and now Editor in Chief. Through these opportunities, I’ve written a lot of articles, but this one, my last one, is extremely special. It’s special because it gives me an opportunity to reflect and thank some very special people in the process.

First of all, I would like to thank everyone I have worked with as a member of the Student Activities Board and as an Executive Board member of the Underground Café. Believe it or not, these two clubs provided some of my favorite college moments and allowed me to meet some of my best friends, friends that I consider family. I will always cherish the opportunities I have had and the friendships that I have made through my experiences with these two clubs. I am truly grateful and know that they will continue to do great things for our university.

I would also like to thank some of the University leaders that I have had the pleasure of working with including Student Activities Board Advisor Missy Dunn, Underground Café Advisor Paul Fazio and Director of Publications Jeff Helsel. Without these three individuals, I wouldn’t have had the opportunity to learn, grow and have fun in the process of working with three incredible organizations. I thank you all for that and you will always have a special place in my heart. (Who knows, maybe one day I’ll even come back to Cal U for Grad School, Missy.)

I would also like to thank the incredible people, past and present, who I have had the pleasure of working with at the Cal Times in the past four years. In one way or another, I have learned from every single one of them. They, along with many of my professors, have helped me grow as a writer and have helped influence me to follow this career path. It is people like them who I want to continue working with in the future and show me every single day why I wanted to become a journalist in the first place.

There are a ton of other people I can thank for what they have done for me and what they have given me during my time here at Cal U. I’ve experienced highs and I’ve experienced lows in my four years here, but I’ve learned from the mistakes I’ve made and the success that I’ve had.

As I finish up my Cal Times farewell piece, I’d like to say this to the students returning to Cal U next year. Enjoy every minute of your college experience. Be involved in clubs around campus, study hard, and live every moment to the fullest. It all goes by very fast.

I will miss being a part of this publication, a newspaper that I have worked for during my entire college career. It was an absolute honor and it is bittersweet to say It’s been real, Cal U. Thank you for the memories.

Lauren Griffith: News Editor
I started writing for the Cal Times three years ago when Gene Axton was Editor in Chief. I, like Katie, was shy and hesitant. I had attended the media open house as a freshman but hadn’t made the commitment.

My first article was about a comic book shop called Evil Genius in town. I went into the interview with the owners totally unprepared. I scribbled down responses with no audio recorder, and snapped a picture will my less-than-great cell phone camera. Seeing my name in print for the first time was a really neat thing, though I’m sure the article was sub par.

And now, here I am, years later as the news editor. I spent time as the entertainment editor as well. I have had the chance to interview a lot of cool people, and write stories that I am really passionate about.

I am so grateful for the Cal Times for giving me the space I need to do what I want, and for the editors who were always there to help point me in the right direction.

It sounds cliché, but I also met some of my closest friends in the Cal Times office. On the weeks when the deadline seemed to come faster than was possibl, they were always there to help out and to talk to. These, among a few others, are the friendships that I will take with me as I leave Cal U.

The Cal Times has given my amazing opportunites like visiting Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, Athens, Ohio and Cincinatti, Ohio for conferences. It has also given me great experiences and a number of clips that I am so proud of.

I would be lying if I said it wasn’t hard work. There were times when I dreaded fitting another interview or another event into my schedule. But that is what makes this different–It was fun. It was so much fun. And although I joke about how I can’t wait to be done with it and never look at another copy again, I’ll miss it.

Thank you to Dr. Carlisle, Jeff Helsel, Pam Delverne, and José Negron for the patience. Thank you Dr. Aune for the support and for believing in me and the work that I am capable of for the past four years. Thank you all for reading.

Katie DelVerne: Opinion Editor

This will be my last column published in the Cal Times FOREVER. Can you believe it? I certainly cannot. In one short week I will be receiving a Bachelor of Arts in Communication Studies-Public Relations. In simpler terms, the gig is up here at Cal U and more importantly, the Cal Times.

When I began writing for the Cal Times I was a scared, timid, and clueless freshman with no idea how to write as a journalist or for any publication really. My mom had encouraged, or what then seemed like forced, me to write for the Cal Times. I remember the first paper meeting I went to I stood in the back, never taking my coat or bookbag off, and saying about three words. I signed up a story on Jozart’s downtown and really had no idea what I had gotten myself into.

But with a little help from Dr. Carlisle, who am I kidding, a lot of help from Dr. Carlisle, I was able to produce one of the pieces I am proudest of writing still to this day. Writing has always been something I enjoyed, but I never knew how exciting and inspiring writing could be until I was introduced to journalism. As a journalist, you are forced to step out of your comfortable zone from day one. Interviewing people I didn’t know frightened the hell out of me the first and second time, but now I live for interviews. I enjoy talking to people about their stories, their thoughts, and their opinions. And I think that’s what inspired me to write the things I have for the Times.

As a sophomore with intense writer’s block, I decided to pitch an idea to the editor-in-chief at the time; a food column. I had and still do have a love for all things food and drink so I thought, why not write about what I love? Intrigued with my pitch, he gave me a spot for my column in that following week’s paper. My first column was on the Speer Street Grille, a delicious small restaurant with a lot of character that is nestled by the river in Charleroi. And from there the column took off as the ‘724 Dining Tour’. I went to a number of restaurants that fell into the 724 area code, ate at them, talked to the staff, and reviewed them for the paper. The column was so much fun and gave me an opportunity to show my quirky side and talk to people about things they loved. I even won the ‘Best Column’ award in 2015 for the tour which was such an awesome accomplishment.

This past fall I had the opportunity to become the opinion editor. It seemed my dedication to writing super opinionated and sassy columns had finally paid off. Being able to bring students’ opinions on contemporary issues to the paper has been such a cool experience. Pitching and writing about controversial subject matters was never something I had pictured myself doing, but I am grateful I was given the opportunity to.

The past eight months working with the staff has been an absolute blast. Each one of the editors have taught me so much about writing and the world, and I will never forget our Wednesday afternoons together.

Writing for this publication has given so much confidence in my writing and myself. I can confidently say I have gone from the awkward girl in the back of the news room, to the confident, chatty Kathy in the front.

I cannot thank Jeff Helsel, our director of publications, and both Dr. Carlisle and Dr. Wilson for all their continuous help and advice. I wouldn’t be half the journalist I am today without their help. And to my biggest supporter, my mom, for always encouraging me to write even when I had no desire to, and for reading my section and articles every week.

Though I may not pursue a career in journalism like most that leave the Cal Times, I will never loose sight of the lessons and skills that writing for this publication has given me the past four years.

Connor Marshman: Graphic Designer
I sought out to make my final year at Cal U a memorable one by participating in different organizations on campus. By stepping outside of my comfort zone, I hoped to gain new life experiences that would build on my education. It was this plan of action that led me to the Cal Times.

My brief time at the Cal Times newspaper has greatly enhanced my learning as a graphic designer.

Most importantly, I am thankful to have been inspired by the talented individuals at the Cal Times: chief editor José Negron, news editor Lauren Griffith, opinion editor Katie DelVerne, sports editor Rachel McKriger, and director of publications Jeff Helsel. I know that my experiences as a designer for the newspaper will stick with me in my journey into the career world. I wish my fellow newspaper workers the best of luck in their ventures after college! Veni, vidi, vici!