St. George’s Day

Rachael Kriger, Sports Editor

The Manderino Library was anything but a quiet place to study on April 5. That’s because the Spanish club, as well as many other clubs, took over the library to promote a St. George’s Day festival.

St. George’s Day celebrates the patron saint of England, George, who was a soldier in the Roman army who killed a dragon and saved a princess, according to legend. He is a revered saint not just in England, but in countries like Spain, Portugal, and Iraq to name a few.

Spearheading the miniature festival was the Spanish club, but they had plenty of help from the graphic design club, the library services, and many more other clubs. Festival goers helped themselves to free food, some free books, and even caught a medieval dancing or fencing lesson.

Many arrived in traditional medieval garbs and the left side of the library was decorated in a medieval theme. The art club made pieces to be displayed, but the most prominent was the medieval dragon art work.

For the co-advisor for the Foreign Language Club, Andrea Cencich, St. George’s Day was an opportunity to bring all Cal U students together.

“This is an event that has different departments coming together, helping ou,” Cencich said. “We have the art and languages departments, the history department, and the graphic design department coming together to promote the Spanish and religious part of this event. Everyone thinks about Cinco de Mayo, so it’s nice to show the students something else in Spanish culture.”

Cencich said that everyone was invited to the event, including people around the community. Authors around the community were invited to promote their books, including Cal U alumni. Cencich said the plentiful amount of people was exciting for her to see.

“We have so much here at the university to show the community, so this was a good thing,” Cencich said. “The library really helped us out. The library got us the area and helped us set up the artwork and decorations. They were a really big help.”

Cencich said she’d like to do the same event next year, and hopes that people that attended the event got a dose of Spanish culture. More importantly, Cencich was glad that the event helped promote diversity around Cal U.