Habitat for Humanity hosts Cardboard City

Mari Boyle, Staff Writer

The Habitat for Humanity club at Cal U brought back a favorite annual tradition formerly known as the Box Out. The event has been renamed “Cardboard City” to more appropriately fit the purpose of the event. Cardboard City is Habitat for Humanity’s main event to help spread awareness for homelessness across Cal U’s campus. Habitat for Humanity invited students and clubs to the Performance Center on April 8 to build homes out of cardboard. These student and club formed teams sat in their cardboard houses from 9am-9pm, when the event was scheduled to end. The Performance Center was full with cardboard houses that reflected this year’s theme for the event, Castles and Mansions, and the space looked like a cardboard city.

The purpose of the event was to raise awareness for homelessness as well as fundraise to donate to the local Habitat for Humanity located in Washington County. The Habitat for Humanity club was able to raise close to $600 to donate from registration fees, food sales, as well as selling apparel. Scattered around the performance center were innovative and exquisite cardboard houses, along with games for participants to enjoy throughout the day such as Can Jam and Corn hole, accompanied by music from the WCAL radio station.

At the end of the day, prizes were awarded for the best cardboard houses. The Gamma Sigma Sigma National Service Sorority was prized with first place and was awarded $100 to donate to philanthropy of their choice. Coming in second was Delta Zeta and the Team Spirit Award went to Sigma Tau Gamma. Other participants included, Alpha Sigma Alpha, the men’s and women’s Rugby teams, Theta Xi, and Acacia. The President of Habitat for Humanity, Savanna Carroll, commented on the events success saying, “We not only raised money for our local Habitat for Humanity, but we got to raise homelessness awareness and even collected non-perishable food donations for Cal U’s own food pantry.”