Should a College Education be free?

Zach Filtz, Cal Times Contributor

U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders has gotten some attention from young voters who crave a cheaper war to go school: no more tuition for college. Say what?

The self-described “Democratic Socialist” 74-year-old senator believes that large banks should not be making money on education.

One argument: Finance corporations make interest on the many student loans out there, so the federal government should just offer to pay it off. This is according to a user on the New York Times article about the topic.

Argument against it: Public college loans are too large for the federal government probably would not be able to afford the several million college students’ school tuition, since some schools are more than $20,000 per year. This is according to Andrew Kelly, a writer of an article, “The Problem is that College is not Free,” for the New York Times.

It would further put the government into additional debt, and some right-wing political minds argue that it should absolutely not be either up to the state nor the federal powers to take on such a social issue. In other words, it should be up the family to take out a loan for whatever sum of money, and have so many years to pay it back.

While I think that getting rid of tuition for students altogether is a drastic move, I do support increased funding from the State, as well as the federal government.
   According to an article I wrote for class last fall, PASSHE said that approximately 25 percent of funding for Cal U comes from Harrisburg. Getting rid of tuition and increasing that number from 25 to all funding in a sudden moment would surprise a lot of people. However, I do think that raising the funding that we get would do nothing but help education overall.

While demand for community college may not change like some lawmakers think it might, it might be easy to talk about, but getting a Republican-controlled House and Senate to agree on such a move but be just that—talking, without legislation being passed that would impact anything.