Cal U Swim Team look toward PSAC, Pitt Meets

Janet+Gates+and+the+Cal+U+swim+team+will+compete+at+the+University+of+Pittsburgh+

Don Wright/Sports Information

Janet Gates and the Cal U swim team will compete at the University of Pittsburgh

Rachael Kriger, Sports Editor

The women’s swim team at Cal U has had a lot of success this season. The team has a 7-2 record and recently took first place in their California Vulcan Invitational, which they held on January 22 and 23. At the Vulcan Invitational, the team hoisted first place over Lock Haven University and Juniata College.

However, in swimming records don’t mean as much as individual performance. According to head coach Ed Denny, it all comes down to individual performances and the team scoring well. As for winning dual meets, Denny called it a “plus.” The swim team certainly got the job done in both categories, as they had 644 points against Lock Haven’s 558 points and Juniata’s 450 points at the Vulcan Invitational.

As for individual performance, Jade Arganbright, a junior, led the Vulcan swimmers with five individual wins. Tiffany Nestor, who is also a junior, won a title in the 100 breaststroke race. The freshman racers, Summer McIntyre, Lauren McAnany, Rebecca Wilkerson, and Kira Goin all had one race win each to their name. The team also captured all five relay wins at the Invitational.

The success isn’t new for the team at home. Swimming at the pool inside of Hamer Hall, the team has a 5-0 record, including from the Invitational. “Being at Cal U itself is what makes it better to swim at home. You know the people up in the stands. It’s always nicer to swim in your own pool instead of someone else’s,” Denny said.

For how young the team is, Denny isn’t surprised by the success by his team. The 14-year head coach did mention that the meet against Wheeling Jesuit, where Cal U won 131-126, was the one this year that surprised him. “I thought for sure there was no way we could beat them because they had so many more women on the team and I just thought they would outscore us that way, but turns out we did beat them.”

Wheeling Jesuit was the first meet of the year for Cal U. Now, next for the team is what Denny called “a chance to swim in championship style pool” when they head to the University of Pittsburgh for their Pittsburgh Senior Recognition Meet. Denny explained that the Pitt meet is Pitt’s last competition before the ACC Championships and where they recognize their seniors. “However, in order to have a legitimate competition, they invite many of the local area teams to come out to it as well and recognize our seniors as well. The meet at Pitt is designed one for anyone on the women’s team here at Cal U who hasn’t made the PSAC Championship meet yet, that’s there last opportunity.”

The senior that will be getting recognized at the University of Pittsburgh meet is Janet Gates. Gates has been a part of Cal U’s swim program since her freshman year and competes mainly in the freestyle, backstroke, and butterfly competitions. “Janet will be missed a lot. She has done everything we’ve asked her to over the past four years, to the absolute best of her ability and I think that shows up with others on the team. Even though she’s not the best one on the team, she’s still right in the mix with trying her absolute best each time she’s in the water, in practice and supporting, cheering, and encouraging the others on the team.”
    Also in the leadership category on the team is juniors Samantha Barbaris, Nestor, and Arganbright. Denny said he leans on them and makes sure “they know what I’m thinking and I ask for their advice on many matters.”

As for the youth on the team, there are six freshman, there have been two big stand-out stars. Kira Goin and Danielle de Perrot are expected to go to the PSAC Championship meet, which will be held in the middle of February. “Danielle very multi-talented in a bunch of different events. She’s been a real pleasure to have in order to move around in a dual meet in different events. Kira is flat out fast, and she’s still learning how to control things when she’s going very, very fast. I fully look forward to how exciting it’s going to be when Danielle and Kira, and also Summer [McIntyre] and Rebecca [Wilkerson] who have done a tremendous job as well, get to the PSAC meet.”

Continuing to build the team with youth, Cal U and Denny have already signed three swimmer for the 2016-2017 school year. Madison Nestor, Karley Owens, and Alyson Urie will be the new freshman come next season for the swim team. Denny proclaimed that he was excited about the new signings, calling them three very good local women. “I’m very excited. Both Madison and Alyson have been here to our summer swimming camp. Madison’s older sister, Tiffany, is on the team. Both of them are very talented swimming for the Greensburg YMCA team. As for Karley Owens, her dad is a Cal U grad and Karley is very, very talented multitalented.”

However, before adding any more swimmers, the women must finish their season off with the Pittsburgh Senior Recognition Meet on January 30 and the PSAC Championships, which will be held from February 18-21. Also in sight is the NCAA Division II Championships, which Arganbright qualified for last year. The swimmers have their last chance to qualify for the NCAA Championships at Pittsburgh and the PSAC Championships.