Get the Cal Times delivered to your Inbox!

Women’s Basketball Win a Suspenseful Matchup Against IUP

The Vulcans Beat the Crimson Hawks
Nathan Kurtz
The Vulcans Women’s Basketball Team

On Wednesday, Mar. 6 the California Vulcans beat the IUP Crimson Hawks in the quarterfinals of the PSAC Championships 57-54.

In what was the third matchup between the teams this season, the Vulcans have won 2 of 3. Coming off the first-round win against Seton Hill, California has kept the momentum. Neither wanted to give way as the scoring remained even through the majority of the game.

Dejah Terrell & Allycia Harris were the only players for the Vulcans to score double digits. Terrell had 25 points, 12 rebounds, and 2 blocks. Harris had 12 points, 9 rebounds, and 2 steals. The inside presence of the two have been crucial for California all season. Both Terrell and Harris are in the top three in rebounding per game in the PSAC. Leading contributors for the Crimson Hawks were Nyshae Weaver with 14 points, and 12 rebounds, Mario Cerro with 14 points, 4 rebounds, and 4 steals, and Kiera Baughman with 10 points, 3 rebounds, and 2 assists.

The Vulcans were able to hold IUP’s leading scorer, Rahmena Henderson, to 5 points through the entirety of the game. California and IUP remained even in scoring until the 4th quarter.

With 10 seconds left in the game, Dejah Terrell drove to the basket and handed it off to Allycia Harris who scored an and-1 basket. The score put the Vulcans up 57-54. Harris then missed the free throw.

The Crimson Hawks had the inbound with 9.5 seconds, and the ball was inbounded to Nyshae’ Weaver who missed a heavily contested layup, which she then battled for a rebound with Harris. The ball was thrown to Kimaya Williams who had it stolen by Kiera Baughman, but was negated by her stepping out of bounds. The Vulcans called a timeout, they then inbounded the ball which ended the game.

For all up-to-date information on standings and broadcasting information, please visit calvulcans.com, or the PSAC Conference page, www.psacsports.org, and watch live on CUTVSPORTS1 with CUTV.