Get the Cal Times delivered to your Inbox!

PennWest California to Host Southwestern Regional Science Olympiad

PennWest California prepares for annual tournament with the help of student volunteers
PennWest

For nearly 30 years, PennWest California has hosted the Southwestern Regional Science Olympiad.  This year, the tournament will return on March 16th, as California plans to welcome about 400 middle school and high school students to campus for a series of competitions and activities to showcase their talents in the field of science.

Science Olympiad is committed to increasing student engagement in science and recognizing exceptional achievements by young people in science.  In order to ensure that the event is a success, student volunteers are needed to help facilitate activities, score student performances, and welcome guests to the campus.

Volunteers will be needed from 8 a.m to 3 p.m.  Volunteers can sign up for the whole day or for blocks within this time.  Students can also choose which age groups and areas they wish to work with.  Students involved in clubs focused on science and education are typically involved in volunteering, but students of all majors are encouraged to sign up!

Volunteers will be assigned to events by event organizers Dr. Steven Brooks, Dr. Candice Riley, and Dr. Matt Price.  Students who wish to volunteer can sign up using the form at https://forms.office.com/r/UxvHVxm4dt.  For questions, contact Dr. Brooks in room 214 of Frich Hall or at [email protected].