Get the Cal Times delivered to your Inbox!

Zuzu Acrobats Wow PennWest Cal with High-Flying Stunts

Students, faculty in awe of incredible displays of athleticism and skill
Jessica Wheeler
Zuzu Acrobats show in the Performance Center

The California Campus Black Student Union (BSU) and the Office for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) hosted an educational performance by The Zuzu Acrobats on Monday, February 19th. The well-attended event was held as a continuation of PennWest’s celebration of Black History Month. The acrobats are all graduates of the Baba Watoto School for Performing Arts, which is known for producing brilliant performers. Through these artists, the beauty, strength, and grace of Africa were shown through living art.

In addition to high-flying stunts and gravity-defying balancing acts, the Tanzanian troupe showcased traditional African acrobatic routines inspired by 2000 years of history. Performing in over 25 countries, the Zuzu Acrobats have visited places like Australia, China, Korea, Germany, France, Italy, and Spain. They made their debut in the United States in 1999.

PennWest Cal student and Secondary Math Education Major Jaime Shahie was in attendance to explore the current happenings on campus. Additionally, Sociology Professor Codie Stone offered extra credit and brought his “Queer Communities” class for exposure to African cultures. Next week, the class will discuss the lives of queer Christian Kenyan women. “This will give a good visual,” Stone said, “I’m hoping that there will be historical, educational material that I can pull from.” Stone’s students in the audience included Jenna Mervosh, John Oreto, and international student, Nikkisha Thompson, who is interested in events sponsored by BSU.

The crowd was on the edge of their seats as they watched the acrobats somersault through the air, stack themselves into towering human pyramids, and perform daring feats of strength and flexibility. It was evident throughout the performance that the group was dedicated to excellence and passionate about sharing their culture. The energy in the room was palpable as the audience erupted into applause and cheers at the conclusion of the show.

To learn more about how the California campus will honor and celebrate the remaining days of Black History Month, visit the Black Student Union’s Engage page at https://pennwest.campuslabs.com/engage/organization/cabsu.