Get the Cal Times delivered to your Inbox!

PennWest California’s 50th Annual Veterans Day Celebration

Dr. Susan Rutledge was honored for her Service
Sarah Seader
State Rep. Bud Cook handing Dr. Susan Rutledge her Service Recognition Award

On Friday, Nov. 10, several people gathered in the Kara Alumni House for PennWest California’s 50th Veterans Day Celebration. Several people were honored and commended for their selfless acts of service for the United States. Throughout the event, it was evident that one’s bravery and commitment will never be forgotten, but rather celebrated and honored.

One individual recognized was Dr. Susan Morris-Rutledge an Associate Professor of Middle/ Secondary Education & ESL Program Coordinator. She was recognized for her Service to the United States of America, but also her service to PennWest California and those around her.

Serving in the US Army Reserves for 11 years, Dr. Rutledge was deployed from January 2003 until May 2004. When asked how her involvement and service have been integrated into the classroom, she emphasized a focus on empathy.

Dr. Rutledge described the integration of her years of service into the classroom, “I organize my class structure; the order of my teaching. I tried to be as organized as possible, so I plan backwards which is a skill I learned while serving. Here is my goal and how am I going to help my students achieve it during their learning time with me. Another way is how I manage behavior and expectations for learning. Students know when to listen and to have their eyes and ears on me. I can project my voice well. Additionally, I expect students to work together in pairs or small groups just like we did in teams or squads or platoons in the Army. We take care of each other, so we can move forward together. Finally, because of my deployment and experience overseas, I am able to help my students learn about different perspectives and situations.”

With her Service Recognition Award, Dr. Rutledge reminisced on the impact this award has on not only her but others in the future. She stated, “I am in awe of this award and the original award Lt. Colonel Robert Prah recommended me for last March. I really think others are much more deserving. My hope going forward is that we can look our campuses and tell the stories of more of our service members: students, staff, and faculty.”

While the 50th Veterans Day Celebration came to a close, the importance of events honoring service men and women did not. No gesture honoring service is too small, so take time to thank a Veteran today and always.