Recently Deceased Cal U Student Remembered Fondly

Secondary Education Department mourns teaching talent gone too soon

Stetson Provance, News Editor

After dealing with multiple tragedies involving students last spring, California University of Pennsylvania is once again grieving the loss of a young, talented student, this time from the secondary education department. Aubrey Sonney, 20, a junior hoping to one day become a social studies teacher, was a passenger in one of three cars involved in an accident near the Route 201 interchange in Rostraver Township on Sunday, Oct. 11. According to authorities on the scene, Sonney was trapped in the car after it struck the middle concrete barrier on the road. She was pronounced dead on the scene.

According to Interim University President Geraldine M. Jones, Cal U is “deeply shocked and saddened” by the loss of an exemplary member of the campus community. Sonney, who started her fifth semester at Cal U this Fall, had made the Dean’s List her first four semesters at the university. During her time at Cal U, she had a profound impact on her colleagues in the secondary education department. Connie Monroe, chairperson of the department of secondary education and administrative leadership, was “heartbroken” when she heard the news during a Monday morning class.

According to Monroe, everything about Sonney’s demeanor and personality was indicative of someone who would have made a great teacher. “Aubrey was very enthusiastic and passionate about education and history, she participated actively in her classes, and she had a great smile,” Monroe said. Monroe said Sonney was an active member in the Pennsylvania State Education Association, and that a bulletin board will be placed in Keystone Hall to honor her memory. In reminiscing about Sonney, Monroe looked through assignments she had written last year. In one assignment, Monroe said, Sonney listed her favorite quote, which was attributed to Mark Twain. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than the ones you did.  So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails.  Explore.  Dream. Discover.”

The university is asking everyone to keep Sonney’s family in their thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.