Led by dynamic duo, Vulcan tennis dominant again

Rachael Kriger, Cal Times Contributor

Kiefer Shaw and Lena Dimmer have both played tennis since they were little kids. They both got started and were influenced by their parents and Shaw also was influenced by friends. However, even though the two have played the sport for such a long time, this is their first year playing the sport together.

The two enjoy being partners with each other. Shaw enjoys that Lena “keeps the energy up and we laugh at each other all the time. She also She also comes up with good strategies and we talk about what we think we can do to beat our opponents.” Dimmer also had high praise about her partner saying that Shaw and her have “good chemistry on and off the tennis court. We both stay calm and encourage each other when needed.”

Shaw, a junior, and Dimmer, a sophomore, have had plenty of success in their first year playing with each other. In their first official scheduled match against Alderson Broaddus at Cal U, the two defeated the team of Mireia Fabrega and Christina Johnson 8-0. Cal U and their other tennis players defeated Alderson Broaddus 8-1.

The girls didn’t slow their pace after that. They competed in the PSAC Individual Championships, which was held at Bloomsburg University and won the league doubles title. “We trained hard for it and it was nice to see that our effort paid off,” Shaw said about the win. After their PSAC win, the ladies had a huge regional doubles crown win on September 21 that qualified them for the ITA National Championships, which will be played on October 15-17.

Both players are excited about the ITA National Championships, which will be played in South Carolina this year. As for preparation, Dimmer said that there wasn’t too much the girls could really do. “We are trying to play as many double sets as we can during practice and be mentally ready to compete. We are trying to get some rest in and don’t stay up too late, listen to our coach’’s advices and trying to realize them,” Dimmer noted. Shaw agreed, also adding that the two are “learning each other’s strengths and developing routines by just playing more together.”

Next up, as mentioned, the two will be participating in the ITA National Championships in Sumter, South Carolina through October 15-17. The tennis team had matches scheduled against West Chester and Millersville University on October 2nd and 3rd, however the matches were cancelled and will not be rescheduled. Kiefer and Lena look to represent Vulcan Tennis  strongly down in South Carolina.