School Supply Drive a Campus Wide Success

Several donations were collected for The Black Student Union, Women United, and Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Incorporated-Kappa Beta Chapter’s school supply drive.

Jordan Williams

Items collected during the School Supply Drive hosted by BSU, Women United, and AKA’s-Kappa Beta Chapter.

Sarah Seader, Editor-in-Chief

As part of National Back to School Month, The Black Student Union, Women United, and Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Incorporated-Kappa Beta Chapter hosted a school supply drive on PennWest California’s campus from Aug. 22 through Sept. 2.

Students, faculty, staff, alumni, and members of the California community generously donated a wide variety of school supplies including items such as bookbags, pencils, notebooks, and calculators. A donation box was setup in the Multicultural Office which quickly became filled with school supplies by the campus community.

Senior Criminal Justice Major and President of The Black Student Union, Anai’ya Jones, stated, “The participation from students and staff were my favorite part of the Melting Pot Ministries School Supply Drive.”

Williams stated, “Ms. Brenda Adams, an AVI lunch lady, was very enthusiastic to donate school supplies because she enjoys doing things for the benefit and goodwill of others. If she has it to give, she has no problem giving it to you.”

Jones encouraged students to give back to their community any way they are able because, “It encourages a good balance between receiving and giving in terms of using resources provided by our community for oneself while also supporting others who came before and after us.”

Another student, a Senior Communication Studies major and President of Women United, Jordan Williams, was overwhelmed by the support from others.

“My favorite part of the school supply drive was seeing everyone support us, other clubs and organizations reposted our flyer and made us really happy that everyone wanted to help out,” stated Williams.

Cal’s host organizations were very thankful for the support they received to make this school supply drive a success. All donations were given to the Melting Pot Ministries in South Hills. Melting Pot Ministries mission is to focus “on children and their families who are underserved by the educational, social-emotional, and cultural organizations in the South Hills communities of South Park, Bethel Park, and Baldwin-Whitehall.”

Melting Pot Ministries reach over 150 socially, culturally, and economically disadvantaged South Hills youth and their families each year with 93% of their students graduating from high school to be able to go on to seek some form of higher education.

The School Supply Drive is just one of the many events that organizations such as Women United has planned for this semester. Williams wanted to inform students, “From Women United we wanted to say thank you for your support, we love our queens. Women United is every Tuesday in Manderino Library from 5-6pm. See you Tuesdays and we have a lot of fun stuff planned for the fall semester stay tuned and follow our Instagram @caluwomenunited.”