Students at Cal U, Clarion and Edinboro choose the look for integrated university’s name

Jeff Helsel

Cal U students Samantha Taylor, Abigail Farabaugh and Elizabeth Brudnock were at the table in the Natali Student Center handing out free t-shirts and stickers featuring the wordmark design for PennWest California, Dec. 2, 2021

Cal U Communications

The wordmark design for Pennsylvania Western University, its three sister campuses – PennWest California, PennWest Clarion and PennWest Edinboro – and the PennWest Global Online division was revealed today.

Similar to a logo, the wordmark will be prominently featured beginning in the spring, pending approval of the consolidation by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, the Philadelphia-based accrediting body for colleges and universities in Pennsylvania and the Mid-Atlantic states.

Nearly 5,000 students selected the design from among three options created by the design teams serving the three western Pennsylvania campuses.

Students from across the three campuses have been involved in the integration planning process from the start. In addition to choosing the wordmark design, students helped to select the name for the new university, which is expected to launch next summer and welcome its first students in the fall.

The wordmark designs selected for Pennsylvania Western University, its three sister campuses – PennWest California, PennWest Clarion and PennWest Edinboro – and the PennWest Global Online division revealed on Dec. 2, 2021 (Cal U)