Cal U AFSCME union partnering with local animal rescue to collect holiday donations for pets

http://www.angelridgeanimalrescue.org/

The website homepage of the Angel Ridge Animal Rescue, Washington, Pa., Nov. 18, 2021.

Emily Wilson, Contributor

AFSCME Local 2322 at Cal U is partnering with Angel Ridge Animal Rescue located in Washington, Pa.,  to collect donations for pets this Christmas.

Cynthia Pascarell is the president of AFSCME Local 2322 and has contributed by passing out flyers to students and faculty on campus.

“Normally around the holidays rescuers and shelters run low on things they need to take care of these pets,” Pascarell said. “They were happy to hear that we’re interested in working with them to boost donations.”

Holly Pierce is a sophomore at CalU in the Psychology program and plans to contribute by making a donation.

“I saw flyers on campus about the donations for pets,” Pierce said. “I recently adopted a chihuahua that came from an unstable home from a local shelter. Hearing about these donations made me happy and of course want to help out.“

Donations can be purchased items from the Angel Ridge Wish List with delivery provided from AFSCME  Local 2322 by contacting a union officer for pickup.

Donation boxes will also be placed in Mandarino Library, Dixon Hall, and Morgan Hall.

“A donation box will be placed in Dixon Hall on Monday where students and faculty can place items for donations,” said Pascarell. “We plan for the last day of donations to be Dec.10 in order to have time to get these items to the shelter.”

Items contributed will be delivered to the Angel Ridge Animal Rescue center and give them the proper supplies to care for pets in need.

Donations requested consist of pet food for both cat and dogs, trash bags and towels, vinyl disposable gloves, anti-allergen & medicated pet shampoo,  blue Dawn dish detergent, pet toys, and more items that can be found on flyer’s provided by AFSCME  Local 2322 containing Angel Ridge Animal Rescue’s direct list of supplies.

“We aren’t accepting monetary donations on campus,” Pascarell said. “Anyone who wishes to contribute with monetary donations can send them directly to the rescue center with the information found on their newsletter.”

Those who wish to donate can also purchase items and have them delivered to the Angel Ridge Animal Rescue by purchasing items on their Amazon wish list. To find the Amazon wish list and do direct delivery you can visit http://www.angelridgeanimalrescue.org.

Cynthia Pascarell can be contacted at [email protected] with questions regarding donations.

Opportunities to volunteer at Angel Ridge Animal Rescue can be found on the Angel Ridge Animal Rescue website by filling out a volunteer information form.

“I’ve seen what it takes for animals to feel safe after coming out of terrible situations or being abandoned,” Pierce said. “These donations will help shelters tremendously. I think that after the holidays people tend to realize they’re unable to care for the pets that they got for their children as Christmas presents. These donations will help in the case that the shelter receives pets without homes even after the holidays.”