Cal U helps community with Big Event

Student government, Greek Life, football team, campus clubs step up

Big Event

Aaron Specht

Big Event

Stetson Provance, Contributor

For years, California University of Pennsylvania held a Day of Service each fall where students were given the day off from classes and encouraged to do community service. However, recently, Cal U started a new tradition.

On Saturday April 18, students around Cal U participated in what is now called “The Big Event.” The Student Government Association was in charge of the event, which was dedicated to affording university students the opportunity to connect with the California borough and perform numerous service projects.

Melissa Dunn, director of student activities and leadership at the university, said around 400 students volunteered at 44 sites from downtown California to West Brownsville. Some of the activities completed by the students included raking leaves, painting, yard work, trimming trees, digging drainage ditches, and cleaning windows.

According to Dunn, Cal U’s Greek Life community played a “vital part” in the day’s successes.

Christine Kindl, director of communications and public relations at the university, said participation in The Big Event by organizations such as Greek Life prove to the areas surrounding campus that Cal U is comprised of productive, responsible students.

“It’s important for our neighbors to see these sorts of positive interactions [that occur at the Big Event] firsthand, so they understand that the vast majority of our Cal U students are people of character who are ready and willing to make a positive difference in their community,” Kindl said.

One sorority that was heavily involved in the completion of service projects was Sigma Kappa. Amber Kirschner, Vice President of Philanthropic Services at the sorority, said over 20 sorority members were split up into 4 groups and sent to various homes around California. According to Kirschner, Sigma Kappa feels an obligation to give back to the borough.

“I felt that the Big Event was super important to our chapter because this is our community and we want to help as much as possible because this is our home,” Kirschner said.

Sigma Kappa, through its philanthropic organization called Inherit the Earth, will continue giving back to the borough by taking measures to improve the environment.

“Doing Community service and protecting our environment is a big deal to us and we love doing it,” Kirschner said.”

Another group that got involved in the Big Event was the university’s football team. According to Chrisitne Kindl and head coach Mike Kellar, 55 players and four coaches helped out with chores at the university’s Village Daycare Center, where some of the player’s children stay during the day. Despite the early hours (the team arrived at 8 a.m.), Kellar and his players were seen smiling and laughing.

This kind of “wonderful participation” by the football team, as Kindl called it, not only benefited the day care, but also allowed the team to get more closely connected to the campus community, a goal set forth by the The Compliance Group in its independent review of the program.

In yet another effort to sell Cal U to prospective students, The Big Event coincided with a university Spring Academic Open House for prospective students. According to Kindl, this means that students who participated on Saturday may have helped Cal U gain a new student or two next fall.

“The Big Event was very visible on campus, and prospective students and their families had an opportunity to see Cal U students engaged in a student-led service project that makes a real impact for community residents and organizations,” she said.

Both Dunn and Kindl said they were extremely pleased with turnout for The Big Event this year. However, according to Kindl, more students need to get involved in university events not only for the benefit of the university and the borough, but also for their own benefit.

“Students who don’t get involved in activities like The Big Event are missing out on a real opportunity,” Kindl said. “Many employers look favorably on job candidates who are involved in leadership and service, so adding to your Activities Transcript is always worthwhile. But more importantly, students get a real sense of satisfaction from being part of a group that’s lending a hand. Most of The Big Event projects are very personal — helping an older person who can no longer handle spring cleaning or outdoor chores, or helping out a community organization such as the daycare center or the historical society. Participants can see that they’ve made a real difference just by giving a few hours of their time — and that’s a great feeling.”