Cal U Theatre opens season with ‘An Evening of Creative Works’

Holly Grainger (from left), Mollie Ehrlichman, Alex Wilson, Macy Gross, Sabria Johnson, Jeshua Myers, Michael Mastendrea, Patric Lees and Katelyn Victor prepare for 'An Evening of Creativity.'

Jessica Crosson, Entertainment Editor

The season is officially kicking off for Cal U’s Theatre department. Tonight is the opening night of ‘An Evening of Creative Works’ which features four different student created pieces.

‘Lasciare Suonare’ is an original play written by Alyssa Freeman, a junior majoring in Theatre, and staged by Dr. Michele Pagen, the chair of the Theatre Department. This is the second piece Freeman has wrote after she debuted her work during last semester’s Creative Works with ‘Bobby’s Ballet Lesson’.

‘Lasciare Suonare’ tackles a tough topic as characters Sebastian, played by junior Musical Theatre and Computer Science major Patric Lees, and Julie, played by senior Communication Studies major Katelyn Victor, cope with their son’s (Luke), played by Michael Mastandrea, suicide attempt. This show also features senior Communication Studies major, Sabria Johnson, playing the roles of Mrs. Peters/Therapist and second grader, Ian Grodz, as Young Luke.

Following ‘Lasciare Suonare’ is a dance piece choreographed by sophomore Psychology major, Rachel Wells, and junior Communication Disorders major, Jenna Kelly. ‘Tainted Love’ is performed by senior Biology Pre-Med major Megan Goben, sophomore Middle Level Math Education major Macy Gross, sophomore Theatre major Holly Grainger, senior Secondary Education major Kacie Kubitza, and junior Musical Theatre major Alexandra Wilson.

Continuing the serious theme of the night, sophomore Theatre and Psychology major Mollie Ehrlichman, performs her own piece called ‘Requiem For the Lost’. This piece features the usage of strobe lighting and covers the topic of substance abuse.

To end the night, senior Theatre major Jeshua Myers, lightens the mood with his stand-up comedy sketch ‘How Did I Get Here? Wait, Where Am I?’. Myers spent part of the summer studying and developing his passion for improvisation in Chicago.

‘An Evening of Creative Works’ runs October 4-5 at 7 p.m. and on October 6 at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m in the Blaney Theatre. Subject matter may not be suitable for younger patrons.

Ticket price are  $12 for adults, $5 for seniors 55+, and $5 for children under 12. Cal U students with valid CalCards pay 50 cents, plus a $5 deposit that is refunded at the show. For ticket information, or to charge tickets by phone, call the Steele Hall Box Office at 724-938-5943.

About the Writer
Jessica Crosson, Entertainment Editor

This is Jessica’s third, and final, year serving as Entertainment Editor for the Cal Times and she is very excited and sad to begin her final semester at Cal U. She is a senior Communication Studies major with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in Acting from Annville, Pa. Outside of the Cal Times, she serves as the President for the Student Activities Board, as the Vice President for Women in Sports and Events (WISE), on the SAI Board of Directors, a Welcome Weekend Leader and a Peer Mentor. A little fun fact about her is that she has experience broadcasting on ESPN+ from her time working with Penn FC, a professional soccer team based in Harrisburg, Pa.