“New Student Convocation” welcomes Cal U’s class of 2022

Back to Article
Back to Article

(Aug. 26, 2018) Student assistants from Cal U's Move-in Day Weekend 2018 posed for a photo on Sunday evening at the New Student Convocation .

Angel Funk

On Aug. 26 in the Convocation Center, the newest California University of Pennsylvania students attended New Student Convocation. As the official welcome to the university students enjoyed speeches, a candle-lighting ceremony in the quad, as well as ice cream and fireworks on the President’s lawn.
“This new beginning is incredibly exciting,” said the evening’s guest speaker, alumna Kelsey DeNardo, “but I know that it can also be unfamiliar and scary.”
Dr. Bruce Barnhart, provost and senior vice president for academic affairs, introduced DeNardo, as well as the stage party. DeNardo, a twice graduate of the university, used her speech to give the incoming students her tips to make the most of their time at Cal U.
Her speech gave insight into her own college experience, using her time to speak on the student life aspect of the university experience with her tips as guidelines for students to make the most of their time while in attendance.
Other important members of the Cal U community took the opportunity to speak to students per their respective roles on campus.
The Director of Alumni Relations and Cal U graduate Ryan Barnhart spoke to students about maintaining a lifelong relationship with new friends, faculty, and the university.
Student Government President Seth Shiley gave his introduction as an opportunity to extend himself as a resource and a voice of support to the incoming student body as well to introduce President of the University and alumnae, Geraldine M. Jones.
“These next few years are an opportunity to dedicate yourself to your studies, take part in all that the University offers and share your strengths, knowledge, and hope for the future with your new teachers, classmates, and friends,” said President Jones, “Please make every minute count.”
Following President Jones speech, Provost Barnhart instructed students to follow Welcome Weekend Warriors to the quad for the candle lighting ceremony. The symbolic event represents the new beginnings for the students with their candles and classmates.
Jen Sigado, director of the Welcome Center, introduced the event and thanked students for their participation in “Welcome Weekend.” Other prominent members of the Cal U campus took the opportunity to speak and aided in the passing of the flame from the Vulcan Statue to the student’s candles.
The evening ended with students enjoying ice cream in front of South Hall on the President’s lawn with a fireworks display.

About the Writer
Angel Funk, Opinions Editor

Angel Hart Funk is a junior at the California University of Pennsylvania pursuing a degree in communication studies with a concentration in public relations...