Charleroi Downs Frazier 56-7 in CUTV’s HSF Game of the Week

Photo+courtesy+of+Dillon+Gaudet%2C+CUTV++
Photo courtesy of Dillon Gaudet, CUTV

Photo courtesy of Dillon Gaudet, CUTV

Photo courtesy of Dillon Gaudet, CUTV

Colin Kirkwood, Sports Editor

On a picturesque evening in Charleroi Pennsylvania, the Cougars of Charleroi played host to the Commodores of Frazier. Charleroi entered the game on a two-game winning streak, downing  Interstate conference foe Washington and Riverview. Frazier on the other hand entered the day after a loss to conference leader McGuffey. Both teams were hungry for a win in conference and to keep up in the conference chase.

Charleroi would open up the scoring for the contest with a 53-yard TD pass from the senior QB and Robert Morris commit Geno Pellegrini to another senior in Dakota Romantino. The Cougars would add to the tally with a QB keep from Pellegrini once again late in the first quarter to make the score 14-0. Frazier would find their way onto the board in the second quarter, with a 72-yard TD catch by sophomore WR Kenny Fine to make the score 14-7. However, after that Commodores score, it would be all Charleroi.

Later in that same quarter, Senior RB Cole Perry would increase the lead Cougar lead with a long rush, making the score 21-7. Pellegrini would toss for another TD before the half, this time to Junior Legend Davis. That 39-yard catch would increase the lead to 28-7. In the waning moments of the first half Junior Brayden Mihalcin would rush for a 35-yard score, tipping the scales in favor of the Cougars even more now by a total of 35-7. Perry would score once again off of a screen pass from Pellegrini with only a few ticks remaining in the first half to make the halftime score 42-7 in favor of the Cougars.

Junior Ethan Codeluppi would be the next Cougar to get his name etched into the scoresheet with a TD reception from Pellegrini halfway through the third quarter, increasing the lead to a near insurmountable leadoff 49-7. Mihalcin would be final scorer in the contest as he would score on a QB keeper of his own, inflating the score to 56-7 which is what the contest would come to a close at.

Pellegrini would finish the game with a total of 211 passing yards on only 11 attempts, in which he converted 10. Mihalcin would finish as the leading rusher for the Cougars with a total of 112 yards. The leading receiver for Charleroi would be Romantino with a total of 75 yards. Charleroi’s (3-0, 2-0) next contest will be on the road when they travel to Carmichaels next Friday.

For the Commodores Senior QB Julian Muccioli would finish the game as the leading passer with 74 yards. Senior Trevor Moon would lead the Commodores in rushing with 47 yards and Fine would lead in receiving yards with his lone 72-yard TD reception in quarter two. Frazier (1-3, 1-2) will look to rebound next week with a home matchup against Brentwood next Friday.

A full replay of the game is available on YouTube on CUTVSports1, and highlights will be shown on the Tuesday edition of CUTV’s High School Football Roundup show which will also be uploaded to the same YouTube channel on Tuesday.