Cal U of PA holds graduation ceremonies May 11-12

Larry Maggi will be the keynote speaker at the 186th Graduate and Undergraduate Commencement ceremonies.

Cal U Public Relations

Cal U Public Relations

Bruce Wald, Cal U Public Relations

CALIFORNIA, Pa. (April 26, 2018) — Washington County Commissioner Larry Maggi, a Cal U alumnus, will address graduate and undergraduate students at California University of Pennsylvania’s 186th Commencement.

Master’s degree candidates will receive their diplomas and be vested in their academic hoods at 7 p.m. May 11. Undergraduate Commencement begins at 10 a.m. May 12.

Graduates’ family members and friends are invited to attend the ceremonies; both events will be held in the Convocation Center arena.

About the speaker

Maggi has devoted his career to public service. A lifelong resident of Washington County, he is chair of the county’s Board of Commissioners, where he is serving his fourth term.

He has been a member of California University’s Council of Trustees since 2009 and was chair of the council from 2013-2017.

Maggi served in the U.S. Marine Corps from 1969-1971. He entered the Pennsylvania State Police Academy in 1973, beginning a 24-year career as a state police trooper and criminal investigator. He graduated from California State College in 1979, with a degree in education.

Maggi entered the political arena in 1997, when he was elected sheriff of Washington County. He held that office until his election as a county commissioner in 2003.

In addition to serving his Washington County constituents, Maggi is chairman of the board for the Southwestern Pennsylvania Commission, which oversees spending of state and federal transportation funds for a 10-county region. He serves on the board for Blueprints (formerly Community Action Southwest), a nonprofit community action agency, and he chairs the Courts and Corrections Committee of the County Commissioners Association of Pennsylvania.

Maggi also is active with a number of veterans’ organizations, including the Marine Corps League, the Mon Valley Leathernecks, the American Legion and the American Legion Riders.

A former Vulcans wrestler, Maggi has officiated high school wrestling matches for more than 40 years. He is a member of the WPIAL Hall of Fame, the Washington-Greene County chapter of the Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame, and the Pittsburgh Chapter of the National Italian American Sports Hall of Fame.

Maggi and his wife, Mary Jeanne, make their home in Buffalo Township, Pa. They have four children and six grandchildren.

About Commencement at Cal U

Each winter and spring, Cal U holds a formal academic ceremony to honor graduates’ achievements and create lasting memories for graduating students, their families and friends.

The university’s 186th Commencement recognizes students who completed their studies in January and May 2018.

In all, more than 1,200 students are expected to receive their degrees May 11 and 12, including those who choose not to attend the ceremonies.

University President Geraldine M. Jones will confer the degrees and personally greet each graduate who walks across the stage.

Both graduation ceremonies can be viewed live online at www.calu.edu/news. For more information, visit www.calu.edu/events/commencement.