California men’s hockey enjoys clean sweep weekend

Photo courtesy of Cal U Hockey.

Photo courtesy of Cal U Hockey.

Colin Kirkwood, Staff Writer

The California University of Pennsylvania 1 men’s hockey team had a busy weekend this past week with two road trips in a matter of days.

Coming off an opening night win vs the University of Maryland, the Vulcans were hungry to keep their season rolling. The road trip kicked off with an Oct. 12 trip to rival Indiana University of Pennsylvania in the frozen version of the Coal Bowl. The Crimson Hawks got rolling early with a pair of goals coming at the marks of 15:16 and 3:06. Shortly after, Jordan Lockhart got the Vulcans scoring off and running at the 2:44 spot. Following the score, the game turned heavily in favor of California. 

California 1 came out hot in the second period with a goal from Alex Smith at the 18:49 mark. This goal came on the powerplay and tied up the game at 2-2. As the period rolled along, the Vulcans found the back of the net once again on the power play at 13:19 thanks to Tyler Gettel. The final point of the period came from the stick of Mike Fahringer and this tally also came on the power play. It goes to show that this power play unit is one to be feared. This pushed the California lead to 4-2.

Perry Shiring opened the third period with a goal at 10:50 and the lead continued to swell in favor of California as it grew to 5-2. IUP managed to get one back at 6:20, but this would be the last time a Crimson Hawk would find the scoresheet.Fahringer once again had his name penciled on the scoresheet with a goal at 4:24 and Lockhart did as well at 2:51 to bring the game scoring to an end with a final score of 7-3.

Multiple Vulcans stuffed the scoresheet with multiple points including Gettel (1G, 3A), Kyle Cunningham (3A) and Fahringer (2G, 1A) just to name a few. This improved the Vulcans record to 2-0, before securing a 10-1 victory over Penn State Harrisburg this past weekend, moving them to 3-0 on the year.

This game was completely dominated by the Vulcans throughout its entirety. The first period was paced by California and it got underway with a goal from Shiring at 15:49. This goal got a flurry of goal started with Darren Wrzesinski lighting the lamp at 14:24.

Next up was Chaz Henry at 10:20 and he was followed on the scoresheet by Fahringer at 4:50. Fahringer’s goal came on the power play which once again showed off the potential that unit has.

A relatively quiet second period of scoring began at 17:54 with a goal from Smith. Wrzesinski followed him up with his second goal of the day at 9:11. Penn State Harrisburg finally cracked the scoresheet with a shirt-handed goal at the 0:34 mark which totaled a line of 6-1 at the end of the period.

The third period was all California once again with goals coming mostly late. Perry Shiring buried number two on the day at 18:30. Another Vulcan, Fahringer, tallied number two on the day when he scored at 2:49. Ephraim Yoder put away another power play goal at 2:25 to push the lead up to 9-1. But in the closing minutes of the game, Fahringer gave reason for hats to come flying when he lit the lamp on a hat trick at 0:30.

This brought the scoring and game to a close with a final score of 10-1.

Notable stat lines included Fahringer (3G), Shiring (2G, 3A) and Wrzesinski (2G, 1A). The next game for Cal 1 will be on Friday when they travel to Fredonia State (New York) and battle the Blue Devils at Steele Hall.

As always, if you’re hungry for more Vulcans Hockey, head on over to www.caluhockey.com.