Cal U football hosts Student Appreciation Night

Daniel Beeck, Staff Writer

On Thursday, April 14 a student appreciation night, hosted by the California University of Pennsylvania Vulcans football team, took place at Adamson Stadium. There were prizes and giveaways, music and excitement, to prepare students since football season is right around the corner. The students were invited on the field and even took part in a few activities after the practice came to a close.
Events like these are a new experience to the Vulcans, as new head coach Gary Dunn expresses his encouragement of community and school involvement. The football team also ran through drills like a normal practice, showing off their improvements in the offseason. Organizations such as Cal U’s radio station, WCAL, and the Student Association Board were in attendance, providing the attendees with music and giveaways through raffles.
A change of pace with Coach Dunn will feature not only a new style of play, but will also add in a change of tempo. At Duquesne University, where Dunn formally coached, his style of play was balanced, which was a concept the Vulcans did not practice. The wide receiver position, as well as the quarterback position, will be a topic of discussion for Dunn and his staff, as QB James Harris and WR Kowan Scott both moved on from college play.

However, one thing is for certain: the speed of the running back group is impressive, and they could change the game on any given play.
As a clean slate for every team in Division II football comes back around, the anticipation for football season is ramped up. The new and improved Vulcans football team has winning in the forefront of their minds and starting off the season with a successful event in the spring is one way to build confidence.
The Vulcans schedule for next season has already been released, with the team kicking off the season against Cheyney University of Pennsylvania on September 10.

The location of the game, or any of the games on the schedule, has yet to be released, but a full dated schedule of the Vulcan football team games for the upcoming 2016 season is available at www.calvulcans.com.